Countertop Epoxy Second Flood Coat - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

countertop epoxy second flood coat

Hi everyone. I've been reading posts on this site for a while, but i just registered so hopefully this community can help me solve my problem.

So... I just used varathane bar and table top finish on a countertop. Thing is I ran out of epoxy without covering the entire surface with a thick enough layer. I could could not get my hands on more of the stuff until now. The surface is now cured (it's been MORE than 48hres). Some parts are a little wavy and the edges are not properly coated. I want to know the process and surface preparation needed to apply a second flood coat. Do i need to lightly sand the surface to ensure a "mechanical bond" ? If I do so, will the next coat bring back the smooth shiny glass finish ? I've read about it, but always with other brands of clear epoxy coating, nothing about the varathane brand. Can I just pour another coat as it is now, meaning no sanding or buffing ? I tried to call and write to varathane(rust-o-leum), but no luck, nobody answers....

Thank you for any tips and advice !!
alexCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,106

Re: countertop epoxy second flood coat

What does Varathane say about this? Without any guidance from them, I would be inclined to scuff the surface with sandpaper before the next pour (removing the sanding dust, of course).
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 09:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

like i said.....no answer on their part.
alexCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,106

Ah, sorry - you did say that at the end of your question and I missed it.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement