Conserve Heat During Remodel? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2015, 02:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 234

Conserve Heat During Remodel?

This is probably a stupid question and something someone else should be taking care of for me but anyway...I am finishing my garage and putting doors into the rest of the house on a couple walls. The only issue is that we have to do this now and it is single digit temperatures. I know I am going to have to eat some money on a few power bills, but how do I minimize it? We are not living in the house, but I assume we need to keep it a reasonable temperature to prevent pipes from freezing and things like that.

So, currently the garage is still intact (the door is still in place) but there are open holes for doors on the right and left walls in the garage where doors will be going leading into the house. We are have to put in stairs before putting the doors on so it will be open for a while. The problem is that all the heat from the right side of the house and left side of the house are flowing into the cold garage. With my house open to my garage at all times, my auxiliary heat is running nonstop to keep the house at 50.

Is there anything I can do to prevent my power bill from being in the thousands next month? Would one of those "zip walls" help? Will plastic over the new doorways make much of a difference.

Basically, my garage is now open to the heated portions of my house, until I get it closed in, how do I keep from loosing an arm and a leg on the electric bill?
SMLWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 05:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,466

Air flow through the openings must be stopped or at least slowed to a crawl. As the majority of the warm air is entering the cold space through the upper portion of the door opening the cold air is replacing that by entering the warmer area through the lower portion of that same opening. Anything to stop or slow air flow will certainly help. Try a double curtain of translucent plastic, one on each side of the opening, that extends at least 6" each side of the opening. The plastic being wider than the door opening will cause the air to change directions 90 four times to traverse and air doesn't do that very well.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 02-16-2015 at 05:41 AM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (03-04-2015), oh'mike (02-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,146

On the inside of the door opening..
Cut a piece of plywood to cover the opening, add hinges, weather stripping where plywood meets frame, and a hook latch.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,438

Heavy duty clear plastic, lots of blue tape. Leave plenty space for construction work. Light frame/plastic walls on openings to keep out wind after work. If work must be done now, you have to account for the heating bill and extra cost to protect the work area. Noway around it. Make sure your plumbing (behind the sheetrock and what's showing) is protected.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Love projects

Rewards Points: 174

I was thinking a large piece of Styrofoam insulation and thick plastic. Use a piece of thin wood to nail plastic on wall. Sturdy for movi g in and out of the house. We used insulation styrofoam for our attic door to cut the heat loss down. Light weight and moveable.
Bigbluefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

I use moving blankets stapled to the openings.... one on each side ovferlapping in the middle...

They are heavy enough that they don't get blown around... and the overlap allows you access (albeit limited)... but you can fold it back with a tack or nail if you have to bring in alot of material.

Harbor Freight has cheap moving blankets if you catch them on sale.

Good luck...
Advertisement