Changing Risers And Treads With Mortised Stringer - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Changing risers and treads with mortised stringer

Been doing a lot of reading on here the past few years for different DIY ideas, but this is my first post.
Last week we removed the carpet from stairs in our 1976 home with the intention of having finished hardwood treads.
We found 1 1/2" soft wood treads, 42" wide, and 1/2" particle board risers inserted into a mortised stringer, secured with glued wedges and 3 nails from the outside. 12 of the 13 stairs are open on the side overlooking the hall below. The open side stringer is mitred to accept the riser for a finish corner. There are only two stringers, no center one. The ceiling below is over my basement stairs is finished.

We have 1" solid maple treads already with nosing on the front and one side. In haste I went out yesterday and had risers cut from 1/2" birch plywood. The plan is to stain and finish the treads to match our hall floor and paint the risers white. Did I goof by not getting the 3/4" for the risers?

My second problem is that the replacement hardwood treads are a half inch thinner in the mortise.

Here's what I'd like to do:
Place 1/2" plywood under the maple tread, from mortise to stringer to give it the thickness of the previous tread. Cover the front of the 1/2" plywood with the riser on the front, using coving under the bull nose of the tread to hide the unfinished plywood edges on the outside of the staircase.
PL Premium on every hidden edge and blocking under each step using 1 1/2" screws to go through the blocking, 1/2" plywood and into the maple tread.
Glue the riser into a shallow mortise on the top of each tread for stability instead of nailing it to the back of the tread.
Cut plugs from left over maple material, sinking two 2 1/2" screws 1/2" deep into each open end tread into the stringer, then fitting and finishing the plugs.
Glue and screw blocks where maple and plywood tread meets mortised stringer.

Will this work?

The three nails that currently protrude from the mortise into the tread, cut them off? Or gently tap the new tread on to it, then drill pilot holes to reuse those nails?

Thanks,

Brad
Brhodgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement