Cement In My Bathroom - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 11-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 761

Cement in my bathroom

I purchased a house recently and in the downstairs bathroom I noticed a box around the toilet. I removed the box top and uncovered some cement. It looks like the strip goes on the side of the toilet and around the back. I plan on tiling the bathroom, so not sure if I should remove the box and just tile up to the cement. And then either paint the cement (probably the same white) or maybe put tile on it? Either way it might look a bit strange having the cement or tile next to the toilet. It just seems out of place.

I could keep the box since it is already in place and just paint it white. Notice that the toilet sits away from the back wall, but not much I can do with that since the drain is already set.
Attached Thumbnails
Cement in my bathroom-20181122_154014.jpg   Cement in my bathroom-20181122_154009.jpg   Cement in my bathroom-20181122_154025.jpg   Cement in my bathroom-20181122_154038.jpg  
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,610

Re: Cement in my bathroom

That is your foundation where the ground level outside is a little higher in that area.
The top 6" should be above ground level so it should be insulated. I think I would fit foam board in there replace the front and top with plywood and cement board and tile it.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 917

Can't tell from the pictures what that cement section is connected to. Is the bathroom floor a cement slab? Is this part of the foundation for the rest of the house?
What i am getting at is whether it would be possible to bust it up and remove it. That would be ideal anyway but you may not want to deal with that.
At the very least, I would get rid of the wood. Wood in contact with the floor around a toilet seems like a bad combination to me. Plus, the wood is just making it take up more space.
I would want it covered in tile, not painted. That would look cheap to me.
When you pick out the floor tile, just keep in mind the cement ledge and try to find some bull nosed border tile that will go with it. You might even want to extend the ledge to the opposite wall or door or whatever so that it doesn't look so out of place.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
retired framer

Old 11-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
That is your foundation where the ground level outside is a little higher in that area.
The top 6" should be above ground level so it should be insulated. I think I would fit foam board in there replace the front and top with plywood and cement board and tile it.
Could I tile over the cement? Before there was just a wooden box. In the laundry area is was just a vanity and the cement was exposed. So probably not the best insulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraldude View Post
Can't tell from the pictures what that cement section is connected to. Is the bathroom floor a cement slab? Is this part of the foundation for the rest of the house?
What i am getting at is whether it would be possible to bust it up and remove it. That would be ideal anyway but you may not want to deal with that.
At the very least, I would get rid of the wood. Wood in contact with the floor around a toilet seems like a bad combination to me. Plus, the wood is just making it take up more space.
I would want it covered in tile, not painted. That would look cheap to me.
When you pick out the floor tile, just keep in mind the cement ledge and try to find some bull nosed border tile that will go with it. You might even want to extend the ledge to the opposite wall or door or whatever so that it doesn't look so out of place.
I was considering tile vs paint as you mentioned. If you look at the laundry room area, the cement is low in some area (like the bathroom) and then raises as it gets close to the door. I am thinking of covering the low area with a utility sink with doors, and leave the other area open. And tile over the whole cement area. Maybe put a shelf or some open structure so the tile will shows through (or just keep it empty).
Attached Thumbnails
Cement in my bathroom-20181124_101904.jpg   Cement in my bathroom-20181124_101913.jpg   Cement in my bathroom-20181124_101920.jpg  
Old 11-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
retired framer

Water lines are subject to freezing. At the very least I would use something like a kerdi-board backer.
https://www.schluter.ca/schluter-ca/.../p/KERDI_BOARD
Old 11-24-2018, 11:46 PM   #7

This is inside the house so i wouldn't expect the water line to freeze, unless I am mistaken. I am wrapping pipes outside.

The pipe coming out the wall on the left is an issue. I would have to move the utility sink forward and put something behind it.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:49 PM   #8
retired framer

Where in Washington are you.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Where in Washington are you.
Near seattle.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrees View Post
Near seattle.
We're in the same zone, our new houses don't get water in exterior walls any more even with a 2x6 outside wall. So you want to make sure those rooms stay warm in a longer cold spell,
This utility sink you are talking about, is that a cupboard or the one with steel legs?

Last edited by Nealtw; 11-25-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement