Ceiling Tiles - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 180

Ceiling tiles

I have a room with ceiling tiles. My inspector didn't know what type of tiles they are. My electrician thinks they are mineral tiles. What do you guys think?

This is my son's room so if there is a chance that they are asbestos then I want to test them, but I'm not sure how to do that either.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling tiles-1427390173103.jpg   Ceiling tiles-1427390185762.jpg  
jwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,884

Just look like old Masonite tiles to me.
No asbestos.
The tiles interlock so there is no easy way to replace the damaged ones even if you could find them.
I've covered up plenty of them with sheet rock to get it out of the 70's look.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,410

My understanding is that even if they were asbestos, it wouldn't be a problem except for it being a pain (read: costing an absurd premium) to dispose of them. The concern with asbestos was mostly occupational exposure, and just having asbestos in tiles in a room you live in isn't really a problem.

See, e.g., http://www.webmd.com/lung/asbestos-exposure
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

The only way to be certain that a given product does or does not have asbestos in it is to have it tested at a certified laboratory. There are lots of laboratories around that do this type of testing. You can locate them on line or via the yellow pages (if there is still such a thing as yellow pages). Call the lab, they will instruct you how to take a sample that they can test. No one on an internet forum can possibly know if a given product has asbestos content, it is amazing the number of products that had asbestos in them.

Should you decide to abate the asbestos, if your tiles test positive, the EPA website has a lot of good information on the process of abatement. As to disposal, the rules are very complicated about what percent and type of asbestos triggers the need for disposal at a licensed asbestos disposal facility. In my experience, much of the time the asbestos containing product can be placed into special bags and disposed of at a regular landfill, but of course you have to check first with the landfill.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom738 View Post
My understanding is that even if they were asbestos, it wouldn't be a problem except for it being a pain (read: costing an absurd premium) to dispose of them. The concern with asbestos was mostly occupational exposure, and just having asbestos in tiles in a room you live in isn't really a problem.

See, e.g., http://www.webmd.com/lung/asbestos-exposure
Oh--sorry, I didn't notice the flaking in the original images you posted. Yeah, if it's flaking I'd probably dump it whether it's asbestos or not, since the issue is with breathing the fibers. You can get it tested and then price removal.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 17,884

Only way they would be an issue if they did contain asbestos is if someone started tearing, grinding sanding them.
Left in place, and painted there's 0 issue.
Pay someone to remove them and there going to be dust everywhere, and a big bill.
Cover with sheet rock, no more issues, far more modern look.
Advertisement