Bungalow Kitchen - Need Ideas! - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bungalow Kitchen - need ideas!

Hey guys,
Newish DIYer. I'm looking into doing a basic kitchen improvements for our bungalow kitchen and am desperately in need of advice. I don't want to change layouts. I would ideally like to repaint our current white cabinets and add new hardware. We will replace the countertops with some sort of stone.

My questions are:
1. This yellow thick ceramic tile backsplash - is it worth ripping out? Is it even a reasonable thing to do for a very new DIYer. The walls are plaster, my guess is that chipping at tile will damage the underlying plaster and therefore a lot bigger project then I can handle.

2. If we don't remove the ceramic tile backsplash, what kind of stone countertop would look good with this retro yellow color?

3. I was thinking about sanding the white cabinets down and repainting them with new hardware. My husband thinks that we should get them refaced instead. Neither of us want to replace them. What do you think the cost difference is between repainting versus refacing? And do you think we can achieve decent results with repainting?

I've attached some pics below, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thanks so much!

OoflowerbudoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Its a lovely vintage vibe as is. I wouldn't do a stone counter at all. Maybe a pretty retro laminate pattern like Formica's Boomerang in Charcoal.

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 736

If you have an idea of what you want on the wall, some stuff could go right over. Our kitchen has a tin ceiling type backsplash, and I learned recently (when moving the oven) that it's actually j ust stuck on right over a similar subway tile to yours (pardon the clutter in the pic, it's the only one I had handy)

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

There are some products available to refinish ceramic tile.I am a contractor so have never used them,we replace them, but some of them look promising.The cabinets are carpenter built in place and would be fine repainted if you can do a pro looking job.The hardware is correct for the period.It would look strange to me with updated hardware unless you just want to change the finish on the hardware.There are several places online where you could order new doors and drawer fronts.Matbe a flat panel shaker style would look good.As far as the countertop,I would look at a soapstone to match.If you want to see a wide variety of hardware choices online check out Amerocks website.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Refinishing the ceramic tile I think would be nice. We LOVE soapstone and were considering it except for the yellow tile would've made it a bumblebee kitchen haha. Mako, as a contractor, when you remove these old ceramic tiles, do you usually have to replace the wall underneath to lay new tiles?
OoflowerbudoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 144

As far as removing the tile ,each situation is different.It all depends on the house and age.As far as the soapstone counter ,if you refinished the tile to your liking you would not be using soapstone with the "old yellow tiles".
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 37

Well there you go. Bobman illustrated what I was hesitant to say: don't install stone counter-tops unless you have nice cabinets to go with it. Nothing wrong with yours ok. They're just not well, pairable with stone. Sorry. I have a kitchen very similar to that and I recently renovated it -- and installed a formica top. From what I can tell, the cabinets look fine. You can't just clean them? In my opinion, I believe your best option is to leave everything the way it is except:

(1) Replace the counter-top with a pre-formed formica top which matches the ceramic back-splash. That in itself, is a monumental task (to do well) especially if it's a old house. It takes a truck-load of tools unless you're up for a lesson in frustration. I replaced mine recently, have a truck-load of tools and it still was a monumental task. I've done about 6 prior.

(2) Go our of your way even if it takes a weeks worth of work to remove that unsightly notch in the door casing next to the counter top. That is, find a piece of casing that matches it and replace the entire length.

(3) If you feel you must paint the cabinets, label the hinges because if you mix them up, the slight variation in them may cause the doors to fit poorly, not to mention the extra paint may cause them to fit poorly also.

Oh, I forgot you mentioned changing hinges. That in my opinion is even more of a problem. Make sure the pulls fit the same screw holes and the new hinges may not hang the same as the old one making the doors even more difficult to hang properly and as far as just plugging the holes with wood putty, that won't work. Not strong enough not to mention it's very difficult to finish-off the finish without any trace of those holes showing through. Will need to offset the new hinges slightly away from the pre-existing holes and I would fill them with epoxy, then putty and a lot of work to completely remove all trace of them.

Just my personal opinion ok.
Jack

Last edited by jackmel; 01-09-2014 at 04:25 PM.
jackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement