Building On Attic 2X6 Floor Joist - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Building on attic 2X6 floor joist

Hello, I am new to this forum and would like some help/tips. I am located in Wisconsin and I bought a house 5 years ago. The house was built in 1890 according to city record. There are 2 bedrooms on the first floor and the attic has one bedroom as well. It appears to me that the bedroom in the attic was added about 50-60 years ago by looking at the old gas wall heater. The attic bedroom is on the east side of the house and the stairs is on the west side of the house. The only thing that is finished is the bedroom. So the rest of the attic has tonged and groove boards for the floors. I would like to finish the attic to have better/cleaner access to the 3rd bedroom. I ripped some boards up to see the joist and they are 2X6 16" OC. The joist span the width of the area of 19 feet. Under the attic, there is a kitchen 13X13 and a bathroom next to the kitchen 5X6 so I don't think the 2X6 joist span the entire 19 feet.

I have two option, put up a knee wall on each side to center the room which will span 13 feet from knee wall to knee wall.

Or if the span is too wide/long, just put up a small 4 feet hallway leading to the bedroom.

Just need some advice before I invest the time and money. All I want is access to the 3rd bedroom. I'm not looking to sister in the joist since there are floors laid already.
yan2396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

See lot's of issues with this idea and what's already been done.
#1, Going to need permits to do this type work in most areas.
#2, Adding a bedroom can open up a whole can of worms with the building and health dept.'s and zoning.
#3, 2 X 6's for joist can cause issues with the ceilings below, if it is that long a span that's about double what's allowed.
#4, Going to have to make sure there's code approved egresses windows.
#5, Most gas heaters are not approved for installing in a bedroom, if it's older I'd be 99.9% sure it's not.
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

Permits will be pulled. I just wanted to make sure of my options before I start my drawings to pull the permit. The bra drop has been up there for who knows who long. Seems to be quite some time due to the age of the gas wall heater. The bedroom has two full size windows and the unfinished part has a full size window by the stairs which leads to the kitchen which is next to the back entrance. Although 13' is over span but what about putting up some walls to make a 4' hallway to the bedroom?
yan2396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by yan2396 View Post
Permits will be pulled. I just wanted to make sure of my options before I start my drawings to pull the permit.
Welcome to the forum yan2396.

If you're going to pull permits then you'll need drawings. I'd suggest you start with calling a local draftsman or architect to come out and do an onsite inspection and go over the possibilities of your project with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement