Brick Veneer Fireplace - Remove Or Go Over? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 214

Brick Veneer Fireplace - Remove or Go Over?

I have a house built in 68 that has brick veneer around the fireplace and in the kitchen on the backsplash. At first, I thought it was just cheap paneling like you can buy today, but it's the actual fake 1/2" thick bricks made from ceramic. They're glued on top of what appears to be either paneling or plywood as opposed to drywall. I was thinking of doing shiplap over the fireplace and then the kitchen will just be torn out. For the shiplap around the fireplace, I'm guessing it's best to remove it but I was wondering if I could go over it by using wooden slats to make for a flat face to install the shiplap boards or panels on. I'm not totally opposed to tearing it out, just trying to think of what's the most efficient way of going about it. Like everyone here, I have limited time and I know even with an air chisel removing the bricks will take some time. Since it's some kind of wood paneling beneath, I don't think I can just make a hole and start just pulling it down in chunks like if it were drywall since the wood likely won't give away around where the screws are attaching it to studs.
bluegrassliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
" I Can Fix It "

Rewards Points: 162

Re: Brick Veneer Fireplace - Remove or Go Over?

Pictures really help everyone know what you're describing.
That would be great.

just sayin'
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n4ph2ws2e...122_085006.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eepxl6zyp6...122_084958.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 05:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,100

Unless you're going to build a fake wall in front of them, (which I'm not so sure you want to do around the fireplace, I think by the time you screwed down your shiplap you'll have broken a ton of bricks anyways so you might as well take it down.

It's horrible to see them painted like that... (Might just be me, it's expensive to get bricks up here.)

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #5

Haha, well bricks are cheap here and these aren't real bricks anyways. It's just ceramic or terra cotta tiles made to look like brick then glued to the wall. A common treatment for interior areas where you want it to look and feel like brick without using full bricks.

I will probably just air chisel them all off. I was just trying to avoid the effort and mess. But I think it will set me up the best for the fireplace. I'll probably tile around the area close to the fireplace opening for heat sake, then do shiplap above it. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,100

@BLU grassliving I'm jelly, we have to rent a boat to get even brick/stone veneer up here. Doesn't fly well and the box stores don't find it profitable to bother with it.

On the other hand, a bunch of houses across town from our place lost their bricks in the 7.0 quake in November:

This poor guy not only lost his bricks, but his house split

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement