Brick Fireplace - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2018, 06:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Brick fireplace

My house was built in 1979 and has siding on the outside with a crawlspace. I decided after my neice almost cracked her head on my hearth that's an unreasonable 10" high and sticking out 16 from the fireplace to remove it and put in a nice floor level black slate hearth and refacing the brick with wood. The problem I ran into when the side trim came off is that it looks like the bricks aren't even attached to the house. The bricks are leaning outward a quarter inch away from the wall at the bottom and an inch and a half at the top. it looks like it's got drywall behind it my question is, is it safe to take the bricks down and then I'll just start over with a drywall?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
coolkat131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,624

Re: Brick fireplace

Did you put a 4' level on the face of the brick to see if the fireplace was plumb, or were you going by the trim molding scar? Brick is really only a veneer and has little supportive value. Most likely you will see plywood and lath behind the brick if you were to take some down. However, I understand that is not what you intend to do. Do you have a picture of the hearth so we can see what you see?
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
coolkat131313 (09-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

At the moment there is no hearth. I've already taken it, but I'm left with this until I put the slate down. Please ignore all the Electronics I removed the shelf they were on to take the side trim down off where the wall met the brick. It is a wood burning fireplace but we do not use it. If it's safe to just rip all the bricks down I'd rather just do that and start fresh and have it flat against the wall. I was just thrown off by finding that it wasn't attached to the wall. It wiggles if pushed on. I'd like to do something like this if possible. See pics attached. A mantle like the second pic with wood backing like the 3rd except the hearth will be floor level. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
coolkat131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,624

If you keep it a wood burner, door number two won't work. There is a triangulation factor you must adhere to in order to keep your mantel at the right depth in relation to the firebox opening. If the brick is moving, then it may be best to take it down and redo the facade.
Attached Thumbnails
Brick fireplace-mantle_fireplace_min_clearance.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
coolkat131313 (09-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement