Bouncy Floor - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Bouncy floor

Hi all, so I recently bought my first house. It is around 100 years old and the upstairs bedroom seems to have undersized joists. They are rough cut 2x6, 16" o/c spanning 10 feet. Room dimension is 10'x14' with old 1X2 plank flooring. The bouncing isn't too bad but drives me nuts and I want to do something about it. We are currently sleeping in the "dining room" until the upstairs is renovated. I'm wondering if I replace the old subfloor with 3/4" advantech and install blocking between the joists if it will stiffen it up or even putting plywood over the existing planking. Thanks for the help, this is driving me nuts haha. Nervous that adding more weight will make the problem worse or unsafe.
Flyfish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,896

Re: Bouncy floor

Very common issue, 2 X 6's where common that long ago way undersized.
Also very common to see hardwood just nailed to the joist like that.
You have no "subfloor" if there's just 1 X 2 "planking" .
There has to also be a sag in the floor, simple to check with a piece of string pulled tight.
I'll be back in a few min.
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

Oh ok I figured that was still called subfloor haha. I don't know too much about construction but just enough to get me in trouble. Yes there is a bow in the floor but not noticeable in the room below. Cosmetically speaking I'm not worried about that but I'm sure it will need to be addressed to remedy the whole problem. Thanks for the fast reply and I will be refreshing the page often to see what you have for me haha. I'm going nuts over'thinking this but don't wanna spend all the time and money to find out it didn't work and I'll be shoulda coulda woulda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Also tried to put some screws into the planks to the joists to see if it would help but gave up. The wood strips are very soft.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,896

Sorry about that, I'm trying to sell tickets for a chicken dinner to raise money for the fire dept. and someone called and wanted 6 tickets so I had to go.
Oh the joys of working on an old house, that about all we did for 15 years when I was in business.
While adding the Advantec and using constrution adhesive in the joints would help, there is a better way, but far harder to do but would take out the bounce and the sag.
The easiest way is to remove the ceiling below and sister all the joist with LVL's that get glued and through bolted to the old joist, I predrill the LVL's before lifting them in place.
Coming from below is easier because you do not have feed the LVL's through a window on the second floor.
It can also be done by taking out all the floor boards from above.
Pretty sure you not going to want to go through all that extra work but it made a huge difference on the few I have done.
If you go with the Advantec if it was mine I be predrilling clearance holes for the screws, reason being as you try and screw it down the boards going to want to try and lift up away from the old floor boards, you need to have 100% contact with the old boards.
I'd be using ceramic coated decking screws and an impact driver to install the screws.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #6

Ok thanks for the reply, good luck with the chicken dinner! I've pretty much come to terms now with either removing the flooring or the sheetrock below. The flexing of the floor has allowed the sheetrock seams to separate so it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace that. Thanks again, I'm going to mull it all over and try to figure out what's best for us in our current situation.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

You use the term "rough cut" for the joists. Presumably this means the joists are full dimension 2 inches wide by 6 inches high, you can verify this by measuring dimensions with a tape. If they are full dimension, the joists are not undersized. You do not note the species or grade of the joists, but if they are typical pine with a modulus of elasticity of 1.5 million, and a maximum allowable bending stress of 1500 psi, then the joists have a factor of safety against bending failure of 1.8, assuming 10 psf dead load, 40 psf live load, 16 inches on center, 2x6 full dimension, 10 foot span.

They also have a slenderness ration (L/D) of about 430, which is fine for hardwood flooring and small dimension tile, not adequate for 16x16 tile or natural stone.

Conclusion: Measure the actual dimensions of the joists. If they are full size and in good condition, you do not need to replace the joists or sister any additional joists. Possible causes of the squeaking are improperly installed subfloor, lack of blocking between joists, or improperly installed flooring. You may want to consider bringing in a carpenter to evaluate the actual source of the trouble, very hard to get proper diagnosis of this problem on an internet chat forum, really could use a hands on inspection.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #8

Would it help using the advantech to remove the old flooring and attach the new subfloor directly to the joists? I'm thinking of going from above now to sister the joists and if I get the lvls to sit higher or at least flush at the ends of the original joists that should level out the floor right? I know it will still have the bow in the room below but that is hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it. And also real quick are the lvls really heavy? Just wondering what the weight would be like on the framing of the supporting walls below. Probably confusing questions that don't make much sense but trying to figure this all out haha. Thanks
Old 04-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #9

Hi Daniel, sorry I did notice your reply before I posted my last post. I will measure when I get home but the house is an old bungalow style in the adirondacks just down the road from an old sawmill so I'd assume pine but not 100% sure.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

This is a pic I took through the floor where I ripped up a couple of the floorboards, the joist on the right side appears to be separated from the floor from what I can see... thanks for any help guys
Attached Thumbnails
Bouncy floor-20170419_112402_1492721340857.jpg  

Last edited by Flyfish87; 04-20-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: For some reason pic flips upside down
Old 04-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #11

For some reason the pic keeps getting flipped upside down...
Attached Thumbnails
Bouncy floor-2017-04-20-16_1492721498043.50.52.jpg  
Old 04-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #12

So I measured and it looks like joists are 1-7/8x5-1/2. Sorry assumed it was a true 2x6. The flooring strips are 1x2-1/2.
Attached Thumbnails
Bouncy floor-20170420_172137_1492723468754.jpg   Bouncy floor-20170420_172150_1492723509361.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement