Bifold Door Install Help - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

Bifold door install help

Ok guys, I know at some point this has be covered but I've googled it and really can't find an answer.

My wife and I want to replace our sliding closet doors with bifold. However, the actual left to right opening is 59" wide. Lowes sells 29.5" wide bifolds but this would make it exactly 59" with two. Wouldn't I need like 29 1/8 or so to make sure there's enough clearance all around? Or am I thinking this wrong?

I would rather not have to cut the doors to fit and I see there's lots of people with the same width closet doors. I would think this would be an easy replace.

Thanks - Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PWAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,438

Bypass doors have an overlap in the center and bifolds have none, so they are framed differently. You don't want to cut the bifold doors too much because you can weaken the wood where the pins are recessed.

This is some time ago since I saw them in a catalog, but I think there is bifold hardware that does not use recessed pin, so you can make some cuts to the doors. One name may be Grant. Another is Hettich. Hope that helps.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement