Best Way To Add Exterior Window Trim? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2017, 04:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Best way to add exterior window trim?

Sorry if this is a blatantly obvious topic. I did a quick search and didn't come up with much and need to get this rocking and rolling.

I'm a roofer and have have done a fair amount of 'diy home improving' (loft in shop, carpets and hardwood through, redid the yards and fence etc etc). . I'm capable but no experience with the detail on exterior trim work.

So the idea is this - Gonna add stone veneer in the highlighted area below and now I'm contemplating adding craftsman style trim to give it a more completely look. Would it be best to cut back the lap and redo the detail for the new trim or could I go over existing siding? I'll be color changing the house this summer, so I'm not overly concerned with ripping it apart, but I don't want to go above and beyond to the extent that I'm wasting time.

First pic is the height of where the stone will go. Second is a close up of the windows.

Any input is appreciated!

Moises360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,896

Re: Best way to add exterior window trim?

There's not enough room to add the trim, it will be to close to the inside and outside corners.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

Re: Best way to add exterior window trim?

Since you're adding stone, all the trim and corner pieces on the lower portion are going to be removed. Take the outside corners completely off. Bevel your trim legs so they wrap completely around. When you get to the ends of the windows, remove the inside corner molding. Run your trim all the way to the corner. Bevel the legs so the edge is 90* to the wall it runs into. Install a j-channel against the trim as a terminating edge for the siding on those 2 sections of wall, the one where the door is and the one all the way on the left. You will most likely want to just replace all the siding. It's a small amount and will be much easier to put in the new j-channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gary.bruzzese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement