Best Size And Shape Of Magnets To Use As Stud Finder? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 397

Best size and shape of magnets to use as stud finder?

I want to get some rare earth magnets to use as stud finders. But there are all different sizes and shapes you can get. I assume a cylinder shaped magnet works better than a flat disc shaped magnet? What diameter and length is best as far as being easy to work with and still being able to easily find screws embedded deep into drywall?

Also, anyone know what size magnets the CH Hanson magnetic stud finder has in it? Not sure if I should just buy one of those, or if buying a pack of rare earth magnets would be better and more useful?
Studly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,176

Just buy one. I have the Stanley version. I have an electric stud finder too, but many times the electronic one would give ambiguous readings and this trusty little thing came to the rescue. Of course it does not find studs, it only finds screw heads in the drywall. Drywall is normally laid horizontal, so the joint is at 48" from floor, search a few inches above and below that line and before too long you will find the screw.

(I hope I am not starting a forum war on if drywall should be laid vertically or horizontally.)
Attached Thumbnails
Best size and shape of magnets to use as stud finder?-stud-finder.jpg  
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 05:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 132

I have the CH Hanson magnetic stud finder and I got it for like 5 bucks or so online. It's really cheap and is difficult to get lose track of rather than a piece of bare magnet that would collect dust and is rather easy to lose. Best 5 bucks I've spent so far.
Greg.Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement