Bathtub Starting To Squeek When I Step Toward The Front Of It - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #1

Bathtub starting to squeek when I step toward the front of it

Home built 35 years ago. I think it's fiberglass. Do I need a new tub?
patcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Bathtub starting to squeek when I step toward the front of it

It doesn't have to be the tub. It can be the whatever is supporting it. If it's on the first floor can you see the joists below it?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #3

It's on a slab, so I can't see anything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,436

Squeaking indicates movement, so whatever is between the underside of the tub and the slab needs "repacking".
(Note that the bathtub should hang on a timber frame and the packing underneath it is to support the base to stop the tub walls distending with the weight of water and occupant(s).)

It is likely that the only way you can get to this area is to remove the tiling and substrate from the side of the bathtub and increase the packing on its underside.

However, unless you can feel quite significant movement in association with this squeaking, any corrective action is probably unnecessary.
Significant movement may, in the long run, cause cracking of the fibreglass bathtub, which will then need replacing.

Only you can judge how significant is your problem but (at this stage) just a "squeak" would not seem to be significant.

It is not the "tub" that needs to be replaced (at this stage). If anything needs to be redone it is the underside support, which will require gaining access to the tub underside area.

This is less intrusive than replacing the tub and associated plumbing which will also involve the removal and replacing of the tiles around the edge of the tub.
(This could extend to retiling several walls of the bathroom !)

Last edited by FrodoOne; 04-29-2018 at 11:17 AM.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,406

With the tub sitting on a slab not much chance of bottom movement. If is squeaking as stepping on the inside of it towards the drain, I think the bottom of the acrylic tub could be flexing up and down on the vertical drain pipe. Or the beginning of a crack in it somewhere. JMO

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 04-29-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

some fiberglass units used a foam base under the tub...
those always concerned me as the weights over time could
compress the supporting foam and allow flex/movement IMO
I recommend an access panel installed at the tub drain assembly
to better see & hear what is what, it could be just more foam is needed?

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #7

I can gain access from a bedroom on the other side. But If more foam is needed how to get foam under tub? Do I need a plumber? Please excuse the mess in photo just had some plumbing done.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathtub starting to squeek when I step toward the front of it-20180429_145005_1525028019058.jpg  
Old 04-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcha View Post
I can gain access from a bedroom on the other side. But If more foam is needed how to get foam under tub? Do I need a plumber?
It is not "foam" that is needed!

When my fibreglass tub was installed it was "bedded down" on a weak sand-cement mixture on the "floor" underneath it.
When set, this formed a connection between the underside of the tub and the floor and supported the whole area of the tub base. This (or similar) should have been done for your installation.

I can see that the "side" of the tub installation (lower right in your photo) is NOT tiles - on a substrate.
What is this panel? [It will be attached to the wooden frame which is supporting the edge(s) of the tub.]
It looks to be some type of plastic material (melamine resin?) which could be relatively easily replaced, with either the same material or anything else waterproof that you wish to use.

I suggest that you consider removing this panel to gain access to the underside of the tub.
Doing this is likely to be MUCH easier than gaining access from the adjacent room and much easier and cheaper to repair/replace.

Last edited by FrodoOne; 04-30-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Peace be with you

here is example of manufacturer that offers foam bases:
https://mtibaths.com/wp-content/uplo...-foam-base.pdf

not saying your tub has foam base but if it did it was high density
closed cell foam (not great stuff can product) & would need to be
verified then professionally added by authorized service person.

since your are setting on slab, the first action IMO would be to access
from other side of wall, the end that squeaks to determine what is what.

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
Old 04-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR P View Post
since your are setting on slab, the first action IMO would be to access
from other side of wall, the end that squeaks to determine what is what.
I strongly urge you NOT to do that.
Access by removing the panel, as I suggested, should give you much better access and be easier and cheaper to repair.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
Peace be with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
I strongly urge you NOT to do that.
Access by removing the panel, as I suggested, should give you much better access and be easier and cheaper to repair.
while we may agree that OP may need to use high pressure grout under tub to fix squeak;
I disagree there is any panel in right front outer dam of that tub...
much more likely a shadow? but sure, 1st try the access (if that is 1).

Peace
Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #12

Sorry all. That is a shadow on the tub. I would have to access from the bedroom behind the front of the tub. Thanks to all for your responses so far.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:57 PM   #13

When in #10 I mentioned the word "panel", I did NOT mean an easily removable "access panel".
What I meant was the side (wall pamel) under the side of the tub.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 4

Yeah, I totally agree with FrodoOne, if the bathtub is Squeaking at every moment whenever you step into it then its for sure the underside of the tub and the slab needs refinishing. According to me you should contact to professional bathtub repair agent or refinishing experts like bathtub refinishing Tamarac, Hallandale whoever is near to your area. These guys are experts in solving all those issues of bathtub repairs as well as giving a new glossy touch to the bathrooms by refinishing.
Geneahrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement