Bathroom Remodeling, New Tub Vs Tub Liner? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom remodeling, new tub vs tub liner?

We are getting quotes from Bath remodeling companies to redo our bathroom. Have received different ideas/opinions.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which is better, replacing with new acrylic tub or relining with an acrylic tub liner. Seems like replacing might do some damage to floor and walls? But does a tub liner work good?

Also, the surrounds, we have been told a one piece surround is not good. Most have quoted for a 3-piece surround because supposed to adhere better. But one claims a one piece is the best.

We are in our 70s so a do it yourself project is not our plan. But each company promises so much and down grades everyone else.

Suggestions or ideas anyone on the above.

Thanks

Theresa
Theresa Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

To replace a tub you have to tear out the walls to get it out.
I'm not a but fan of those paper thin liners and enclosures company's like Bath Fitters install and there prices are way out of line.
Just how bad is this bathtub?
100% sure there's no damage or mold behind the walls?

The reason I ask is the last time I had to deal with Bath Fitters they wanted over $4000.00 to install a liner and a 3 piece stick on enclosure.
The tiles were falling off the walls because they where just sheetrock behind the tiles.
The walls were black from floor to ceiling with mold. The floor was rotted out below the tub.
They wanted me to do all the demo, fix all the damage and they would come back and do the liner and the enclosure.
I got the job instead, I removed the tub, repaired all the damage, replace the tub, Install a 2, piece tub and walls, replace the medicine chest, added a ceiling fan for less money.
Posting some pictures is always a big help.
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Usually the liners cost about the same as installing a new tub---with a new drain set--

Why are you considering the liner?

Have you called independent contractors? Cast iron tubs are the best for long life---
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
registered

Rewards Points: 534

You could always get the tub sprayed.(refinished). i hear it looks good for about 5 years.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 135

Can't tell you about which is better from an install point of view, but the house we just bought last year had a tub liner installed within the last 2-5 years, so I can comment on how it has held up and my impressions of it.

Our liner appears to be 2 pieces: The tub liner and the walls. The walls are just smooth with no design and go to the ceiling, which I like and prefer. There was a small 2-shelf piece added in the rear corner for holding soap and such. The tub looks nice and we get compliments on it when people see our bathroom because it looks newer.

As far as functionality goes, I am less than impressed. When you lean on the long wall, you can tell that the glue has come off on most of it, and it's the caulk and trim holding most of it in. I was told a lot of times this is caused by them bracing the end walls against each other when they are glued in place, but most companies don't bother to brace the long wall against the opposite to apply pressure on the glue to set it.

The tub also does not feel solid, and you can tell there is a void under it. It feels like they placed spacers between the original tub and the liner, but not completely because some places feel really solid, and some have some bounce to them. At the rear of the tub, when you step in mine you get a loud popping sound, similar to what you get when you are popping a dent out of a milk jug. it sounds like the spacer might not have been tall enough in that spot, so when you step, you push the linder down enough to contact the glue, then when you step off, the tension in the liner pulled itself back off the glue quickly. Also, near my drain, I will also feel water between the liner and the tub. I attribute this to the liner having one of those soft spot right next to the drain, and over time it has caused the plumbers putty around the drain to not seal completely when I'm standing there, and water is getting in between. Could possibly also have been caused by a slow draing and it backing up through a drain hole for that space (if there is one. Pure speculation here) since I did have to clear out a blockage partially caused by excess caulk used to attach the new drain to the old drain.

On a side note, I do also find that the material gets dirtier faster than the tub at my old house, which was just a 2 piece HD special.

My conclusions:

Would I rip it out before it was time to re-do the bathroom since it's already installed: No

Would I choose to install one in my own home: No, not unless it was significantly (over half the cost) cheaper than replacing.

Could my issues be partially the installers: Yes, it very well could be.
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyfloyd For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-25-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Wolf View Post
We are getting quotes from Bath remodeling companies to redo our bathroom. Have received different ideas/opinions.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which is better, replacing with new acrylic tub or relining with an acrylic tub liner. Seems like replacing might do some damage to floor and walls? But does a tub liner work good?

Also, the surrounds, we have been told a one piece surround is not good. Most have quoted for a 3-piece surround because supposed to adhere better. But one claims a one piece is the best.

We are in our 70s so a do it yourself project is not our plan. But each company promises so much and down grades everyone else.

Suggestions or ideas anyone on the above.

Thanks

Theresa
I'm guessing the only reason they're suggesting a 3 piece is because the install is much easier.

A one piece would be better as there are 2 less joints that could potentially leak.
d189379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement