Bathroom Outlet Fell Between The Backsplash And Finished Wall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 270

Bathroom outlet fell between the backsplash and finished wall

I cant upload a pic right now, but wanted to begin the post and can add pic later tonight..

So we did a remodel of our small kids bathroom, not thinking ahead when we had all the walls open and access to everything, i didn't move the sink area outlet up any, left it as it was at the recommended height already.. later as we finished off the sink area, realize that the outlet was now going to be part in the back splash and part on the finished wall.. so we moved forward and did the back splash leaving the outlet area open to fit the face plate.. i haven't installed the face plate as the tiles will need a little trimming to allow it to fit.. but once installed the face plate will be lower than the tile, is there anyway to accommodate this mistake and not have it look bad..

Are there thicker face plates that can compensate for the thickness of the tile? tiles are 1/8" glass tile with adhesive holding it on..it would be great if outlets weren't meant to be accessible so that i could install something and chaulk around it to give it finished look, but i know that is not an option..just looking for options to correct this oversight..
cubangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #2

Re: Bathroom outlet fell between the backsplash and finished wall

ok, found a sample of what im dealing with, keep in mind, that from this picture, they are just not on the next row of tiles.. but in my case, i ended up with exactly how these outlets are.. half within the tiles and half on the finished wall

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,066

You're either going to need to move that outlet or tile up another couple inches on the backsplash.
NotyeruncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,790

I'd extend the tile up above the receptacles.
Use a box extender to to bring the box out to the tile surface.
Then install the receptacle and wallplate.

Leaving the wallplate at the wall surface and trimming back the tile around the wallplate (having the top line of the tile "cut" the receptacle) looks very non-professional.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #5

yea so all those are great suggestions, but everything is finished in the bathroom except the shower tile.. ripping out / adding to the backsplash isnt really an option, but sounds like my only options and not sure where to go from here..
Old 07-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,614

Take the end off one tile and cut it out so it will just surround the outlet and provide backer for the outlet plate.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #7

Ill post a pic of my actually issue tonight, the back splash was trimmed with the rondec 1/8 trim and cut out around that area allowing for the face plate.. hard to explain, but will post as soon as i can..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement