Bathroom Into Closet Space & Cove Ceilings - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2015, 07:05 PM  

Rewards Points: 117

Bathroom into Closet Space & Cove Ceilings

Looking to give up a bedroom closet to add a second bathroom to our home. The closet space is a bit small, so I'm looking to extend 2 feet into the bedroom space, then adjacent to that add a 2'x4' closet, so the face of the closet and bathroom are flush (see floor plan). I'm a homeowner and not much of a carpenter so I'm looking to hire trades. Plumber says a bit tricky but 'can do' using a wall-hung toilet to save space. Trouble is, so far, the experienced carpenters I've interviewed all seem to balk at the job. Several have said I should make use of the existing closet space, but even if I could squeeze a sink and toilet into a 35x56" interior space (leaving only 14" between knees and sink), I'd still have to move the closet door to create better access between the sink and toilet. Furthermore, the wall-hung toilet would be on an exterior wall, which is not wise in cold climates (and voids thee warranty).

The other issue is that we have coved ceilings, which no one seems to want to touch. In spite of this, why is it so confounding for carpenters to construct a built-in closet? True, I could probably buy an Ikea/ready-made closet for much less cost, but it doesn't take storage advantage of the full ceiling height, nor the most optimal width to suit the space. I keep thinking I just haven't found the right carpenter, but their consistent doubts have me doubting myself!?! Any thoughts? Comments on my floor plan? I know it's a bit tight between the bed and the closet/bathroom, but if I make the bathroom shorter then the closet loses depth and 23.5" is minimum depth for good closet space--as far as I know. The attached photos show the style of coves in our home.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom into Closet Space & Cove Ceilings-img_1959.jpg   Bathroom into Closet Space & Cove Ceilings-img_1960.jpg   Bathroom into Closet Space & Cove Ceilings-img_1962.jpg   Bathroom into Closet Space & Cove Ceilings-new-powder-room-closet.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2015, 03:04 PM  

Rewards Points: 5,348

I'm pretty sure I've seen foam forms around for use on ceilings so you could match existing profiles. You could probably make the yourself if need be. Plywood template and bendable 1/4"sheetrock or profile rigid blocks and compound the surface.
Many contractors shy away from one offs. Not familiar and don't want to learn.
Why a 1/2 bath in a bedroom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2015, 04:16 PM  

Thanks for your thoughts Ron. Yes, I've seen cove kits for sale to use with bent sheetrock so I don't understand why cove repair is so scary. Looks like I'll be doing that part myself. As to why a 1/2 bath: no room for more. I'm using a closet space and stealing an extra 2 feet from bedroom to make a 4x5' powder room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 07:48 AM  

Rewards Points: 6

It's really quite tough job to do for carpenters .Go for an experienced one which will guide you to do the work based on your requirements .
Old 07-17-2015, 01:10 AM  

Thanks donaldgolson, I understand that the coves may be scary, but why so hesitant about the framing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement