Bathroom Exhaust Fan / Heat Loss - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

Bathroom Exhaust Fan / Heat Loss

If I'm Posting My Query in the wrong Thread , Sorry please Redirect Me..lol. It's Bathroom Related anyway, on the top of my Springtime To Do List.. Replacing a Window and Installing an Exhaust Fan.. We're having a Debate with Management on the location of E-Fan , whether to go through the Roof or an Outside Wall.. The least evasive route would be ideal... The Bathroom is 12' X 7', 2 Outside Walls, the E-Fan could go along a 12' wall ?? The other Debate is , Just How Much Heat Loss (Winter Months / Furnace On) is there Running the E-Fan , I'm told you should run the E-Fan a good 20 minutes after stepping out of the Shower... There is only one Heat Register coming up from the floor by the entrance doorway which would be at the opposite end of the 12' wall where the E-Fan could be .. Thoughts & Ideas Appreciated, Cheers Thanks.
NorPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,188

Re: Bathroom Exhaust Fan / Heat Loss

I would be looking to put the fan close to the shower, and far from a door. If you put it too close to a door, it will tend to suck air from the adjoining room. (And if you close the door, then you are getting minimal airflow out of the bathroom) Having the fan on the opposite side of the room from the heat register, as you describe, sounds ideal. Ceiling sounds like the better place to have the fan, on the assumption that warm, moist air rises.

You will lose some heat when the fan is running, but it beats having a moldy shower and flaking paint. What concerns me more is how much heat is one losing when the fan is not running? I don't have an answer for you on that. An exhaust fan replaces perhaps 8 inches of insulation with a 20 gage flap of galvanized steel. On a windy day I can hear the flap moving in my bathroom --- how much air is being lost?
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
Mingledtrash (03-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
You will lose some heat when the fan is running, but it beats having a moldy shower and flaking paint. What concerns me more is how much heat is one losing when the fan is not running? I don't have an answer for you on that. An exhaust fan replaces perhaps 8 inches of insulation with a 20 gage flap of galvanized steel. On a windy day I can hear the flap moving in my bathroom --- how much air is being lost?
There is an Inline Sleeve Collar that holds a Floating Ball, Seals the Vent Pipe when the Fans Off .. Like most surprises when your the 2nd or 3rd Owner .. The Bathroom comes with 2 oddly place Ceiling Lights , If I went up through the Ceiling I'd be looking at the Ceiling Light more centralized as I'd get one of those Exhaust Fan / Ceiling Light Combined.. Side Note : As I'm NOT saying it can't be done , the Crawl Space in the Ceiling is just that and taking in the rafters one would be working on their Belly to do the Installation..lol..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,036

the ideal location is above the toilet and near the shower. You can put them in the wall but remember that steam tends to accumulate near the ceiling so higher up would be better as well.
nutone has a huge selection of bath fans and parts an internal damper will help with the heat loss

http://www.nutone.com/products/produ...ntilation-fans
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,466

Why force moisture laden air from inside the structure to the outdoor atmosphere when it is needed inside the structure in the winter months. I've never been able to understand that theory.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Why force moisture laden air from inside the structure to the outdoor atmosphere when it is needed inside the structure in the winter months. I've never been able to understand that theory.
True Enough, But Unless Someone Can come up with a Sure Fire way to Prevent Condensation from Pooling on the Bathroom Window Sill after a Shower... Or Keep the Heat in Generated by the Heating Furnace during those Cold Canadian Winters with a Window Open a Crack.. We're Sunk Bud, Just Saying
Old 03-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
True Enough, But Unless Someone Can come up with a Sure Fire way to Prevent Condensation from Pooling on the Bathroom Window Sill after a Shower... Or Keep the Heat in Generated by the Heating Furnace during those Cold Canadian Winters with a Window Open a Crack.. We're Sunk Bud, Just Saying
If the bath door must be closed, fan in wall discharging to another room in the house where moisture is needed, shorter showers with less water temperature , insulate bath window on the outside during winter months, and furnace blower running are a few ways to accomplish the task.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

Quote:
If the bath door must be closed, fan in wall discharging to another room in the house where moisture is needed, shorter showers with less water temperature , insulate bath window on the outside during winter months, and furnace blower running are a few ways to accomplish the task.

Surly you must be joking right? The heat loss from a small exhaust fan is probably minimal and the benefits of running it far out weigh any benefit of saving a couple btu's of heat. Put the fan on a timer to avoid lengthy run times.
I prefer to exit through a wall in lieu of the ceiling because I hate adding roof penetrations. Keeping a window cracked will improve performance and bring in fresh air. Unless you of course your house has a make up air system.
Not all houses dry out in the winter. Older drafty house's tend to, but newer air sealed houses are plenty moist and require attention just to keep humidity down. Ducting a bathroom exhaust fan to another room is one - a code violation, two - may add to a current moisture problem, and three - who wants the bouquet of your morning evacuation throughout the rest of the house.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
. But newer air sealed houses are plenty moist and require attention just to keep humidity down. Ducting a bathroom exhaust fan to another room is one - a code violation, two - may add to a current moisture problem, and three - who wants the bouquet of your morning evacuation throughout the rest of the house.
Ground Water is a Problem Here , lots of Pooling in the Backyard come Spring... Got to keep the DeHumidifier running Every Available Minute in the Off Peak Hours...lol... And a Big 10-4 on a Bouquet of O'De Pou ...
Old 03-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

Once again esthetics prevail over common sense.

Oh, BTW, Glade Cinnamon / Roses has been on the market for several decades and probably shortly after man decided to POOP in his living quarters.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 7,188

I have both -- a ceiling exhaust fan and a room-to-room fan acting as a circulation fan to blow air into the shower. My shower is built-in (closed on top) and getting good airflow through it to dry it out, is a challenge. In the winter (actually most of the year), I just run the circulation fan after a shower.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #12
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

Quote:
Quote:
Once again esthetics prevail over common sense.

Oh, BTW, Glade Cinnamon / Roses has been on the market for several decades and probably shortly after man decided to POOP in his living quarters.

Sorry Sr., .....telling someone, who is requesting advice, that it is OK to vent your bathroom exhaust fan into another part of the house is just plain wrong for the reasons I already stated.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement