Bathroom Exhaust Fan In Garage - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 06-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

bathroom exhaust fan in garage

Hi everyone,

Not exactly sure if this is the right place to post this? I could not think where this belongs.

I am about to start remodeling my garage and wanted to add a bathroom exhaust fan in the garage. I work on my cars a lot (hobby) and the wife always complains that the house smells like gasoline or oil or something. I am tired of the complaining.

Has anyone put one of these in the garage?
My garage is 500sq/ft

Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you
powerdbygarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,284

Re: bathroom exhaust fan in garage

That might help but the garage should be sealed from the house with exterior door and taped and filled drywall so that should be talked about too, what holes do you have between garage and house.
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,028

Probably overkill but an exhaust fan to deal with gas fumes is a big deal. Although your intended activity will not generate sufficient content unintended occasions might. Just for your consideration.

And yes, the house and garage need to be 100% isolated, CO is a killer.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 10:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
That might help but the garage should be sealed from the house with exterior door and taped and filled drywall so that should be talked about too, what holes do you have between garage and house.
Yes of course the garage is sealed with exterior door and drywall. Currently there is a small hole in the ceiling due to bathroom remodel above the garage but that’s not where it’s going. A lot of people walk in and out of the garage door and I guess that’s how it starts smelling in the house.

I never start a car in the garage with the garage door closed. Even in the winter. So I’m not worried about co2.

Just smells from oil and gasoline a bit here and there.

At the moment I opened a window in the garage and stuck a fan in the window to suck out the smells outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Probably overkill but an exhaust fan to deal with gas fumes is a big deal. Although your intended activity will not generate sufficient content unintended occasions might. Just for your consideration.

And yes, the house and garage need to be 100% isolated, CO is a killer.
Bud
Adding an exhaust fan is overkill? I just want to get the smells out of the garage without having to leave my garage door open. Don’t want animals running in.

I’m sorry I do not understand what you mean by sufficient content? If you can clarify please.

The garage is sealed from the house. Yes.

Easiest example is “like in your bathroom. Take poop, turn on fan, 10 minutes later bathroom smells like flowers”
powerdbygarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdbygarrett View Post

Easiest example is “like in your bathroom. Take poop, turn on fan, 10 minutes later bathroom smells like flowers”

Well . . . maybe in your house.

One thing you have to think about with any exhaust fan is make-up air if the garage is fairly tight.

Gasoline can be a very pungent odour to many. My thing is diesel (any distillate actually) from several years working around turbine aircraft.

Would keeping a jug of 'sorb-all' around help? There is also something that oil furnace techs use to mask small furnace oil spills when changing a filter, etc. that seems to really work.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,028

Content was not a good word. What I was trying to say is the fumes need to exceed some concentration level before they would be an explosion risk. I had to install an exhaust fan in a garage and it had to be a very special, commercial operation.

Bud
Old 06-06-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,284

I wouldn't be afraid of putting a fan in the garage, it is really hard to get the right mixture for gas to explode.
CodeMatters likes this.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:58 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 248

Bath fan won't work for that size. It will not reach across 500 square feet area and suck out the fume. How about what you do now? Even if in winter, air out the garage after done? Try to keep the gasoline contained? Also are you about done with fuel system? Attic vent fans will work but you need intake air about as large.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 952

Your air movement is in cubic feet per minute. The intake and exhaust should be within 10% . I put an exhaust fan in my garage to move the fire extinguisher dust from the small recharge room I built, to the outside. I did not figure intake air. When I turned on the exhaust fan, I had to leave the door to the recharge room open. I also had to leave an outside door open in the garage. If the recharge room door was open, and an outside door was not open, the ashes and smoke from the wood stove would pulled from the stove and into the recharge room. An HVAC dealer should be able to figure the CFM needed to move the air outside.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,082

Put the fan in and see if it works well enough to make the wife happy.
In the mean time, put the hose of your shop vac on the exhaust port an stick it out the window. It will be loud but it will give you some idea of how well a fan would work. I guess you could sit the shop vac outside and put the hose under the door or in the window

Last edited by hkstroud; 06-08-2019 at 08:31 AM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 780

Another approach considering it is only the smell that is a problem, would be to put in a good room filtration unit which could be placed on a small platform/shelf. Inofia, Medify, and others use replaceable carbon filters. Avoid the "quiet" ones as they will not have a fan that can move enough air through the filters to be truly effective.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement