Bath Surround - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 155

bath surround

helping a friend- want to do it cheap- Removed old 50's tile- He wants to install a 3 piece tub surround- I took it down to the studs and am putting up moisture-resistant drywall- in some areas the drywall pieces do not line up evenly.. meaning the left piece is a bit higher than the right piece- I'm guessing it's best to get it as even as possible as the imperfections will show thru? What is best way to get both pieces flush? shim or with joint compound?
Huskyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,772

Re: bath surround

Having put in several 3 piece shower units, let me say that you better get everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) plumb and square.

If it's an old house like that, the studs likely are not square to each other or one or more are "in" a few centimeters. Also, it's not uncommon for a wall to be bowed out at the top or the whole wall is not perpendicular to the other two walls. The short story is the wall is not square and the studs are not plumb.

You really need to square and plumb the studs up first. Nothing you do now to the drywall is going to alleviate that problem. It may help, but not much. Trust me, when you go to install that 3 piece unit, you will be pulling your hair out if everything's not plumb and square.

I'm not a carpenter so hopefully someone comes along to explain it a little better and give you steps to correct the problem(s).
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,896

Agree 100%.
As soon as I heard cheap remodel, glued up enclosure I would have said no thank you.
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyfan68 View Post
helping a friend- want to do it cheap- Removed old 50's tile- He wants to install a 3 piece tub surround- I took it down to the studs and am putting up moisture-resistant drywall- in some areas the drywall pieces do not line up evenly.. meaning the left piece is a bit higher than the right piece- I'm guessing it's best to get it as even as possible as the imperfections will show thru? What is best way to get both pieces flush? shim or with joint compound?
if you are down to the studs.,, do what is needed to plumb studs so drywall is even..shaving studs if needed...may i ask if its just a tub ...why do you have pieces of drywall ..that could be done in 2 pieces with one seam????
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 155

the tub is in good shape- it just needs to function as a basic shower- the tile was all cracked before so believe it or not- its an improvement. I have to drywall 3 sides.... since its a 3 sided bath surround
Huskyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huskyfan68 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-13-2016), oh'mike (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Sometimes you have to do what is in the budget---the glue on surrounds work and keep the walls dry---

If that is what your friend can afford for now--what harm is that?
Advertisement