Basement Room Insulation - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 11-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 104

Basement room insulation

Hi,

I recently removed some wood paneling, framing and fiberglass insulation from a room in my basement that a previous owner finished many many years ago. One small piece of the paneling was wrinkled, I believe due to a condensation/moisture issue, as my house was under renovation for the summer and the A/C was turned off. Having removed everything, I don't see any obvious signs of moisture, but I recognize we're now into a drier season.

I'm looking to now insulate this space before we get into the really cold temperatures in winter. I've attached a few pictures of the space.

I am a total DIY newbie and have a few questions:
- are there any good videos/tutorials to help show me the best way to insulate this space? Is this a good one? -
(up to about the 6:17 mark...the framing seems excessive!)
- what is the recommended rigid foam insulation needed? A certain R value? I'm in Southern Ontario.
- are those foundation form ties in those pictures? Would I handle them in the same as shown in the video above?
- how do I navigate the corners on my walls with the insulation? You'll see in the pictures that one section is a bay window shape. Again, any videos showing how to do so would help.
- I'm still deciding whether to finish the space now or not. If I don't, is it ok to just leave the foam insulation up? Or is it recommended to frame right away?
- If I do finish it, would standard 2x4 framing be recommended? The previous finishing job had some ceiling framing for ceiling tiles that were in. Is that still usable or should I replace that?
- Any other things I should be aware of, based on my plans and the pictures attached?

Thanks in advance,

- H
Attached Thumbnails
Basement room insulation-dsc_0006.jpg   Basement room insulation-dsc_0007.jpg   Basement room insulation-dsc_0008.jpg   Basement room insulation-dsc_0009.jpg  
handeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,742

Re: Basement room insulation

Blocks look wet still, Tape and try to seal squares of poly to the wall, Moist that gathers on the surface is condensation, Moisture behind will be coming from the block.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #3

Is that the method shown at 0:18 in the YouTube video above?

If so, how long do I need to leave it taped/sealed to get an accurate measure?

And what do I do if it's one or the other (i.e. moisture on surface or behind)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by handeman View Post
Is that the method shown at 0:18 in the YouTube video above?

If so, how long do I need to leave it taped/sealed to get an accurate measure?

And what do I do if it's one or the other (i.e. moisture on surface or behind)?
Yes like that. I would like to be there thru one rain fall, as water finds a way down I would want at least one near the floor.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

Got it. So I'll maybe plan to keep it there for a week?

If I get moisture in or on the plastic though, what would I need to do?
Old 11-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by handeman View Post
Got it. So I'll maybe plan to keep it there for a week?

If I get moisture in or on the plastic though, what would I need to do?
Outside water proofing and management.

Or inside management and drainage.

Either is not a good choice, money wise. You do want landscape sloped away from the house, down spouts etc. too.
Bud9051 likes this.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,804

Hi handeman,
You have to remember that the plastic square method is only a positive test, if you get moisture on the plastic you have an issue. It is not a final determination that you do not or will not have that moisture problem. Before s pending a bunch of money on a basement renovation you would really like to know that there is not or will not be a problem. Unfortunately, basements are basements and they start as a hole in the ground and almost never receive the waterproofing they would need to really be dry.

The layer of rigid foam against the foundation does two thing, keeps the inside surface above the dew point and allows a small amount of drying to the inside (no vapor barrier). Air seal and insulate the rim cavity and build your wall against the rigid and you will about as good as you can get. Be sure you have a sump pump and outside landscaping to shed those monsoons away.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement , finishing , insulation , video , walls