Basement Framing Question - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg

Old 10-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Basement Framing question

I've searched but couldn't find answers for the last two days with how to put framing up against the wall.

i've included two pictures and wanted to know how can I install "brackets" in between the sub frame to the wall for the framing to be secured under. Also there are A/C lines coming out, how do you recommend me to go around it by doing an soffit method from the wall ?

Pictures taken at night, may not be clear. let me know if i need to take more pictures.

for some reason i cant post links here... (add http at the beginning of the website to see the picture.

imgur.com/iuSaTWe.jpg
imgur.com/bNrQC5n.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Framing question-2016-10-23-21.41.30.jpg   Basement Framing question-2016-10-23-21.41.26.jpg  

Last edited by bhogaboom; 10-28-2016 at 10:08 AM.
bhogaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,578

Re: Basement Framing question

Two ways come to mind. TAP-CON screws, or a RAM-SET gun.

ED
rkovelman likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

i use the ram set for the bottom framing (treated wood) but you notice the gap above the window area. how do I secure/install the top framing to that area?

i didn't ask the right question above in my first post. I meant to say

how do I install the framing to the wall and secure it from the top since there are gap in between the sub frame to the wall.

Last edited by bhogaboom; 10-28-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Tap-con screws , drill their own hole, then anchor into the concrete.

I would use 2X2 's to give a base to box around the A/C lines, and add enough for the usual 16" OC studding.

I am not sure what you are asking, as to how.

Edit: after your edit, I would run a top nailer along the wall at the top, using TAP-CON, and then another 2X2 attached to the 2X2 nailer, as a top plate for the framing above the window.
ED

Last edited by de-nagorg; 10-28-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: adding edit
Old 10-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

they would get in the way with the a/c line and the hvac piping at the corner. do i need to "relocate" the a/c lines out of the way so the top frame can be in there?

i don't think 2x2 will fit since my angle of the camera make it look closer. it might be 2x6 that i need to mount at the top.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
JUSTA MEMBER

What type of ceiling do you plan to use?

Suspended, sheetrock, other.

Only frame as high as the ceiling will be, then the ceiling will hide the A/C, and other things.

ED
Old 10-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #7

sheetrock for sure.

updated with more pictures added. I hope they will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Framing question-2015-03-18-10.58.43.jpg   Basement Framing question-img_0027.jpg   Basement Framing question-2014-06-08-14.17.03.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 114

If you don't want to move the AC lines (and I don't recommend notching all those joists) you will have to furr down most of the ceiling the thickness of a 2x4 to work around them. As far as anchoring the wall, just build it so it fits around the window. There are a couple of simple ways to anchor it at the top. Alongside where a stud falls, do this every couple of feet, attach a 2x4 block to the foundation wall. A ramset or tapcon screw, assisted by some liquid nails, will do it. Then attach the stud to the block, after the wall has been plumbed. I use framing clips that are basically metal corner pieces, usually 3" square, they provide a cleaner look. If you need a nailer at the top of the wall for drywall, add it after the fact to the top plate. 2x6 blocking laid on top, screw it through the top plate from below, will be more than adequate.
RickMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 78

I think you are asking two questions right? For the HVAC I would either do a drop ceiling, but if you need to have sheetrock, a would do a soffit with some easy to access panels. I cannot see a reason why you would ever need to get to them, but I would be cautious in case there is a leak or something and you need to see where it is coming from. For framing, I personally was going to use a one shot Hilti gun but now leaning towards tap-con. I am also using metal studs vs wood in my basement. If the need came that I needed to redo a wall, it is very easy to undo it.
rkovelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,458

I would use framed drop ceiling to enclose all of the duct to the window. Tapcon (hammer drill and bosch masonary bit but some screws come with the bit) 2x4 to the window frame, drywall to the window and cover the gap with small trim. Not sure but any condensation problem with the duct when running ac? That may need insulation such as foam panel.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #11
" I Can Fix It "

Rewards Points: 162
Lightbulb

If I may guys. bhogaboom, I'm not sure about your local codes, but in most areas I've built in, framing coming in contact with concrete MUST be pressure treated. Also, I would install a 2x6 pt rim-joist above window, attached to concrete wall. Then build a small "soffit", or fur-down just far enough out from wall to encase wet lines, and duct work. Build my walls with 2x4s flat against concrete (w/tapcons), then 1- 1/2" sheet insulation, then cover that wall in 4 mil. plastic as a vapor barrier. Then you could rock it. If you plan on wiring that wall, use BX (armored cable) notched into studding protected with kick plates (small steel plates over the cable) to insure you don't drive a drywall screw into the cable, then use shallow boxes for receptacles.

Just my 2 cents Pard. Hope it helps
Mrbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
" I Can Fix It "

Rewards Points: 162

forgot to ask if you're getting it inspected ?

Last edited by Mrbuilder; 11-18-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Mrbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement