Basement Finish Order - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By jjohnston7

Old 07-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Basement finish order

I'm working on finishing my basement. I need a little help with what order to do things.

I have just finished framing.
I hope to have HVAC installed in the next few months
after HVAC I thought I would do electric

But the bathroom, the builder pulled supply lines to the future sink, and near the future tub.

I know the tub nails to the unfinished walls, so that needs to be before drywall, but the toilet needs a supply line doesn't it, but I can't install the toilet until after drywall due to fastening drywall behind, same with the vanity.

so do I need to have the plumber out twice? once before drywall and once after, and does he need to come before electric??
jjohnston7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,826

Re: Basement finish order

You also need to get your electrical and plumbing inspections before that work is hidden behind the drywall. Your plumber and electrician should be able to guide you on the sequence, they do this all the time.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #3

thats half the problem, I want to do electrical myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,602

Have you done electrical before? Do you know the requirements? Has a permit been pulled?

It would be a good idea to have an electrician come and help you with a plan of attack and then have them come back to inspect before the final inspection and sign off for the permit.

If so, why wait until the HVAC has been installed? If you have the time that is.

Don't forget to run lighting for the rest of the basement, as well as outlets.

There is no set order other than following your permit. It tells you what needs to be done before the next inspection. The fun part, if you are acting as the GC is to juggle the trades. Making sure to get them in in the right order.

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!
Most of all, have fun! It ticks people off and ruins their day.
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,826

Every town can have different rules. Some want permits for EVERYTHING and heaven forbid you skip their process as I've seen half a building torn down because it was done without approval. Knock on wood, if a fire were to occur due to an electrical problem the ultimate responsibility can reach back to the electrician and his insurance.

I recently helped someone from out of state by meeting with their real estate agent at various properties to provide a review. When i saw anything that looked like it was done without permits I would stop at the local building department and ask to see what permits had been pulled. Building departments and inspectors aren't happy when they are left out of the loop.

Even when a home owner is going to do their own work there may be permits and inspections required. In fact inspections can rise to a more detailed level as a home owner would not be expected to know all codes and practices.

I'm not the code police but following the local rules can avoid a lot of problems.

FYI, I would expect a rough in framing inspection, rough in plumbing and rough in electrical, all followed by final inspections for each. And there can be others.

Bud
ktownskier likes this.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #6

yep, I've been working closely with my inspector. It was recomended by him to do all work, then pull permits and have it all inspected just before drywall. BUT I can't do hvac, My HVAC contractor will pull his own permit, so I want to pull a permit for my framing, have that inspected. HVAC will have one from the contractor, then I will do electric, pull permit, have inspected, then call plumber who will pull their own, etc...

I've done electric work before, granted not to this magnitude. I pulled a copy of the code etc. so hopefully I'm on the right track.
ktownskier likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement