Basement Door Near Stairs Landing - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes

Old 12-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Basement door near stairs landing

So I want to put a 36 inch door at the bottom of my stairs. There is currently a 12 inch high landing at the bottom of these stairs and then you turn right to get into the basement. The problem is the distance between the landing plywood and the top of the framing is only 76 & 1/2 inches. I would need to put 2x 2/4's at the top of the framing so I can put the door molding on and the top of the ceiling can be dry-walled so that only gives me 73.5 inches. I am 6'1 and I don't want to duck under this door every time i come down into my basement so I am looking for options.

I created a 2-3 min video demo. Please watch it as it explains everything. I am also attaching pictures to this thread.

https://streamable.com/6ulkl

The three options I can think of are as follows.
- Cut the door to 73.5 inches and just have a short door and people duck coming down the stairs
- Cut out the landing and lower it 8.5 inches so we can have a full frame for 82 inches to put in a 36x80 door.
- Rebuild the stairs with steeper steps so we can remove the landing completely and the stairs touch the basement floor.

Any other ideas or options? I am a pretty good DIY'er.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement door near stairs landing-20181202_202421.jpg   Basement door near stairs landing-20181202_202424.jpg   Basement door near stairs landing-20181202_202429.jpg   Basement door near stairs landing-20181202_202434.jpg   Basement door near stairs landing-20181202_202441.jpg  

Basement door near stairs landing-20181202_202452.jpg  
JonEhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #2

Re: Basement door near stairs landing

Here is a link to the video.

https://streamable.com/6ulkl
195795 and Nealtw like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #3

Anyone anymore suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEhh View Post
Anyone anymore suggestions?
You are up against it, You can't get to the min. required height at the nose of the landing and usually there are changes to the floor framing above that can be made but you have trusses hanging from a beam.

Can you measure the total distance from the floor nose upstairs to the end wall?
draw a level line from the floor up stairs over to the wall above the landing and measure down to the concrete floor.
It doesn't look like you could re work the stairs but doing the math is cheap.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #5
retired framer

lenaitch likes this.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:29 AM   #6
retired framer

If you cut away half of your landing like the picture on the right above. and build a new wedge shaped landing at 6" high extending that landing out about 12 inches past the door I think you will find that reasonably comfortable. And it will be code almost.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,272

1. Why door at all ?

2. Why door at bottom ? Is there one at top of stairs ? If not, possible ?

3. If no door at top, just build out a little foyer at bottom and put door in that foyer instead of at that landing - looks like you have the space to do so.
195795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdiyer View Post
1. Why door at all ?

3. If no door at top, just build out a little foyer at bottom and put door in that foyer instead of at that landing - looks like you have the space to do so.
As is he doesn't have 80" head room.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
As is he doesn't have 80" head room.
For the little foyer option, sure he does - he said it's 76.5" from top (underside of ceiling joists) to the plywood on landing, and that landing is easily another 6" right.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Sure he does - he said it's 76.5 from top (underside of ceiling joists) to the plywood on landing, and that landing is easily another 6" right.
You measure from the nose of the stair or landing to the obstruction so he has 76"
Old 12-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
You measure from the nose of the stair or landing to the obstruction so he has 76"
I know - I'm saying add a little foyer in the basement itself - so add the step(s) to the landing to get you onto the actual basement floor and once in the actual basement, frame out a little foyer and in that framing add a standard pre-hung door - the bottom of the door is an inch or so above the actual finished basement floor.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
retired framer

Quote:
I know - I'm saying add a little foyer in the basement itself - so add the step(s) to the landing to get you onto the actual basement floor and once in the actual basement, frame out a little foyer and in that framing add a standard pre-hung door - the bottom of the door is an inch or so above the actual finished basement floor.
Yes that I understood but the landing is too high, The pie second bottom step is the best he gets and if he expands the bottom one out into the room he can cheat the pie wedge to a more comfortable one.

I know he won't be happy because he just built that landing but he should remove it and build a new one at the lower level and then play with the shape of the wedge on top of it.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
1. Why door at all ?

Just watched the video again and see you do have a door at top of stairs - so why a door at the bottom ?

I don't have a door at the top or bottom of stairs going down to my finished basement - no worries.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes that I understood but the landing is too high, The pie second bottom step is the best he gets and if he expands the bottom one out into the room he can cheat the pie wedge to a more comfortable one.

I know he won't be happy because he just built that landing but he should remove it and build a new one at the lower level and then play with the shape of the wedge on top of it.
The height of the landing is not an issue for him, 76.5" is plenty of headroom, even for him at 6'1" (73") - he is concerned about a door there. I'm saying forget putting the door there (actually I say no door down there at all), put it in the basement itself in a little added foyer area.

PS - not crazy about the tile on the landing, that's a slip and fall (and lawsuit) waiting to happen.

Last edited by 195795; 12-08-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #15
retired framer

Quote:
The height of the landing is not an issue for him, 76.5" is plenty of headroom, even for him at 6'1" (73") - he is concerned about a door there. I'm saying forget putting the door there (actually I say no door down there at all), put it in the basement itself in a little added foyer area.

PS - not crazy about the tile on the landing, that's a slip and fall (and lawsuit) waiting to happen.
I got that, 80" is still min height.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement