Basement Corner Frame Around Electrical Panel Question - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Basement corner frame around electrical panel question

So I'm looking to finish a space in my basement. The space has an electrical panel near a corner of the concrete walls. I am putting up 2" rigid foam on the concrete and that will leave me 2 1/4 inches to the edge of the panel. What is the best way to frame that corner? If the panel has to be moved then that would also require extending about a dozen wires coming out of it that run to various locations in the house so it would be nice if I didn't have to move the panel.
suedeuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

Post a picture so we can see what your talking about.
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #3

There is 2 1/4" between the face of the foam and the side of the panel.

Last edited by suedeuno; 12-30-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,890

That wall the panel is mounted to should have been built out with a 2 X 4 wall so the panel cover would be flush with the wall covering.
plummen (01-02-2014)
Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

I haven't done anything yet outside of leaning that foam up. It's not attached yet, so I can do anything at this point. I'm just wondering if there is a way to frame that corner without moving the electrical panel, and still adequately insulate to meet code.

I realize that the wall with the electrical panel needs to be framed but I'm trying to figure out how to do it with limited space in that corner. There isn't room to adhere foam on both walls of that corner and frame it. I could not use foam in that corner and frame away from the wall but then there is a thermal hole in that corner.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #6

Only thing I thought of was to foam both walls, and build the frame out in front of that panel and cut an access panel to the electrical panel. Anyone have better ideas?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 766

Don't you need to have more clearance from the center of the panel to the right (15"??), or is the code different in your state, or grandfatherd (looks newish)?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Don't you need to have more clearance from the center of the panel to the right (15"??), or is the code different in your state, or grandfatherd (looks newish)?

B
Just checked the code, yea looks to be 30" width of clearance . The rub is the builder didn't even provide that as there is only 12" from the center to the concrete wall and apparently the inspector didn't care enough to make him move it.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 766

Well, if that permit is signed off and closed then it isn't your problem.

My basement buildout was similar. I did 1" XPS with 2x4 and drywall over. The panel was mounted on .5" plywood. I framed around the panel leaving 6" or so on each side. When totally finished I plan on putting a cabinet door over the opening to hide the panel. I may even put a lightning bolt on the door.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 526

Sounds dangerous to me. I want my panel board accessible to firemen if I'm not home or unconscious..... then my HO Insurance carrier would have to pay as I at least followed code minimum in my work;http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._39_par103.htm

Gary
Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #11

I talked to the code building dept and they asked me to send them a design so he could offer options. If they sign off and there is ample space then I'm good with it.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #12

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Well, if that permit is signed off and closed then it isn't your problem.

My basement buildout was similar. I did 1" XPS with 2x4 and drywall over. The panel was mounted on .5" plywood. I framed around the panel leaving 6" or so on each side. When totally finished I plan on putting a cabinet door over the opening to hide the panel. I may even put a lightning bolt on the door.

B
That's interesting that they will let you cover it with a door. The city told me if I were to put an access panel in front of mine then I would have to allow for 3 feet space in front. I'll have to frame and gyp to the panel face. Sounds like you had a bit more space. I have 4 1/2 inches from panel edge to the concrete wall. Pretty ridiculous that the builder got that approved.

Last edited by suedeuno; 01-04-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 516

couple things ... need qualified person to do this ...

from the picture it appears that you could unbolt the panel and move it to the left so studs could be installed to make the corner .. 6-8 " or so ..

or

make that corner a 45 degree and mount the panel there ...basically swival the panel ...
Old 01-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #14

Yea, I looked at the wires coming out of the top and I think that there is maybe 5 or so inches of slack enough to move the panel to the left. Not a lot but it might buy enough space to frame that corner. Much more than that I think would require all of those wires to be extended which I think would blow up the cost.

45 degree corner is an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of that. I'll ask the city what they think of that. Thanks.

Last edited by suedeuno; 01-05-2014 at 10:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to suedeuno For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (01-05-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #15
DIYer

Rewards Points: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
couple things ... need qualified person to do this ...

from the picture it appears that you could unbolt the panel and move it to the left so studs could be installed to make the corner .. 6-8 " or so ..

or

make that corner a 45 degree and mount the panel there ...basically swival the panel ...
I was thinking the same thing. Kill the power, unbolt the panel, and push it over as far as you can stretch the wires.

BUT, the 45 degree swivel idea is genius!
mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement