Basement Ceiling - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Vincent001
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Vincent001

Old 12-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Ceiling

So I bought a new house, and I've thinking about doing some work in the basement.

The short-term problem is that there's a major soundproofing issue with outgoing sound. Basically, any sound above a quiet conversation gets piped into the rest of the house through the air ducts. It's really an issue everywhere for loud sound, but it's worse in the master bedroom and a future kid's bedroom. It's bad enough that a five-person boardgame night in the basement means my wife can't sleep.

The fix is relatively simple (if not easy): redo the entire ceiling properly. Right now it's pressed wood sheets nailed into the structure.

Long term - I'm oscillating between doing only major work (like adding a bathroom, putting in a nice floor instead of horrible seventies carpet glued to the concrete, and splitting it into rooms) and flat out stripping it down to the concrete and structure and redoing everything.

So here's the thing - I want (and honestly probably *need* to soundproof the ceiling quickly.) Sure, game night can be held elsewhere pretty much forever, but my oldest son likes to play in the basement and make noise, and that'll bother Upcoming Baby.

I've got a quick-and-dirty, low-budget soundproofing solution lined up, but I'm a big fan of doing things properly the first time. On the other hand, I don't want to throw time and money at the ceiling only to undo everything in four years.

So the first question is - if I redo my ceiling now, will that impact my ability to do the other projects later on? Can I leave the ceiling up while stripping everything else down?

And if I decide not to strip away the outer walls, does that change anything? Do I need to strip them away to make a new floor?

Thanks in advance!
Vincent001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,498

Re: Basement Ceiling

And if I decide not to strip away the outer walls, does that change anything? Do I need to strip them away to make a new floor? not sure what floor you are asking about.

The ceiling, I would strip the junk, insulate it and add resilient channel and 5/8 drywall.
Should be able to do some work around later if the exterior walls have to be rebuilt.
Plan future interior walls ahead of time and lay 1/2" plywood above the drywall between the channels and screw in place. So later you can screw the top plate of the wall to the plywood and trap the drywall between and the wall framing does not transfer sound to the floor.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 06:40 AM   #3

Sorry - I meant do I have to take out the outer walls to make a new floor for the basement? I would remove the carpet, do a proper subfloor, and then install something not as utterly hideous as my current carpet (I imagine parquet or pergo.)

(Also, just to be clear, I may not do everything myself - I'll pay for pro help for the parts that are beyond me. I just want to figure out the order in which to do things. )
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
retired framer

The normal is to build a 2x4 wall 1" away from the foundation wall, fire stopped Build any interior walls. All walls have sill gasket foam between wood and concrete,
Then you are ready for HVAV, plumbing and then you may have some more framing to hide ducts and plumbing. Then you have all the wiring done. The exterior walls get insulated and vapour barrier, ceiling may want insulation.
Install pre hung doors.
Now you are ready for drywall and paint.
Then you look at the floor, after the floor is done you do trim around the floor, doors and windows.
Vincent001 likes this.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

Right, after a lot of reading it seems like stripping everything away would be overkill. The insulation is okay and up to standards, meaning I'm fine keeping the walls as they are.

So right now my current plan is to redo the ceiling, planning for future walls installation as suggested by Nealtw in his first reply. Then later on I will remove the carpet, then put up the interior walls and door, then do the floor, then finish it. That would work, right?
Nealtw likes this.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
retired framer

If you do the ceiling first. don't forget the plan your ceiling lights and switches and outlets for the rooms .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement