Basement Bathroom New - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Basement Bathroom New

Hi.
Our house is about 12 years old, in Northern Ohio.
Previous owner had the plumber/contractor do the beginning work for a future bathroom to be installed in the basement.
We are on a Septic System, but we have a 'grinder' pump in the basement floor that pumps up to the septic pipe. Picture attached.

The bathroom is about 25 feet from this pump, and all the drain pipe has been already laid under the concrete floor, including the toilet drain and the future sink drain.

Here's my question.
The black drain pipe for the toilet is 16" from the back wall instead of what I understand should be 12".
Also, the pipe is 4" black pvc, and if you can see from the photos, there is a 'collar' at the bottom of the pipe, about 1" high, right at the point where it touches the concrete floor.

I've installed toilets in wood floors, using the toilet flanges, but I'm confused with this setup.
Do you think they expected to put a 2x4 thick floor on top of the concrete, and that's why the pipe coller is above the concrete?

Any thoughts on this setup?

Do I just get a 4" toilet flange, and cut the drain pipe down enough so the flange is flush with the floor? Is it possible that the collar that's a the base of the pipe doesn't really matter?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Bathroom New-img_2052.jpg   Basement Bathroom New-img_2047.jpg   Basement Bathroom New-img_2049.jpg  
wklkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 324

Re: Basement Bathroom New

It's 16" off the wall so you can frame with 2 x 4's and still have the toilet be 12" from the finished wall. It's taller than it needs to be just because they leave it to you to cut down.
Sdiver2489 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 34

Thanks, that makes sense.
What I don't understand is the collar at the base of the pipe.
Do I cut the pipe flush with the floor when I'm ready to install the toilet flange?
wklkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklkj View Post
Thanks, that makes sense.
What I don't understand is the collar at the base of the pipe.
Do I cut the pipe flush with the floor when I'm ready to install the toilet flange?
Yes, install your floor covering then cut the pipe flush with finish floor. The flange sits on top of finish floor. You can get a flange that glues inside the 4 inch pipe.

It appears the "collar" is the fitting hub? Yes? Hard to tell from here. Some guys will leave a removable spacer. If it were me and I wasn't sure, I would cut the cap off high to get a peek to see what is going on there. You can always seal it or glue another cap on until you are ready to go.

Depending on how high your finish Flooring is, you may or may not be cutting some of that hub flush with floor. You may end up trimming a little bit off the toilet flange insert piece before gluing it up. Not a big deal

Last edited by Erico; 01-09-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Erico is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erico For This Useful Post:
wklkj (01-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement