Basement Bathroom, Drop Tile Ceiling... - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Basement Bathroom, drop tile ceiling...

Hello,

I just purchased a house that has a basement 3 piece bathroom with a Home-Depot style single piece upright enclosed shower.

There is two problems with this bathroom:

1) The ceiling is the standard 2x4ft drop ceiling tile, however they used standard tile, not some moisture resistant tile. Also, when they installed the T bar's they did a terrible job of it, and they seem to be barely staying together. This is only in the bathroom btw. The remainder of the basement is drywall'ed and spackled.

The reason why this concerns me is that the tile is only 3" above the top of the upright shower. Obviously, this is going to mould/mildew rather quickly I suspect, and I'd rather not let it get there.

I'm thinking of simply tearing out the dropped ceiling, and installing drywall.
The obvious problem is getting big enough drywall sheets into the bathroom, without taking out the shower itself. I'm also doubting that I can screw straight into the rafters as I'm sure there is piping in the way.

The question/concern here, is that I've always seen the ceiling installed first before the side walls. How much support could I expect with just screws?

Also, how much moisture resistance could I expect without having had the walls properly treated for moisture resistance ?

2) The second problem is that there IS a fan, however it vents directly into my laundry room, which is right next door. Utterly stupid. Not to mention that this fan is loud as hell (it's gotta be 90+ Db).

I would have no problem replacing the fan, running some solid piping, however (I know this isn't "proper") but I'd T into my dryer vent to vent out the moisture. Yes, I'd install 1-way valves to prevent backflow of air/dryer air.

Eventually I'd get a new hole drilled, but I don't have a proper drill for something that large.

Any suggestions/recommendations on how to solve this without doing a full tear-down of the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Bathroom, drop tile ceiling...-bathroom_general_layout.png  
Spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,884

Lots of bad ideas.
A bathroom vent should never be tied into a dryer vent. It needs to be totally on it's own line vented to the outside, no other way is acceptable!
Screws will hold it up fine.
Plumbing in the way then look for ways to reroute it, last resort, add shims to the bottom of the joist.
Use green board, paperless, or Denshield drywall
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 133

Sounds like a nightmare. If you can't get a full sheet in there, then you can't get a full sheet in there. You'll get lots of experience taping and mudding.
bilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement