Barrier Between Kichen Sink & Washer/dryer - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,025

Barrier between kichen sink & washer/dryer

I'm renovating the kitchen in my small condo (about 550 square feet).

The only spot for my stackable Miele washer and dryer is right next to the left of the sink.

This is how my washer looks like (I have to use these photos since my actual washer and dryer are stored away for now):

http://www.abt.com/product/40890/Miele-W3033.html

And this is my dryer:

http://www.abt.com/product/40892/Miele-T8003.html

The washer will come up to counter level. But the dryer will of course be above the sink in height. I'm trying to figure out what I could place at the base of the dryer to keep water splashes from hitting the dryer (even though my sink is quite deep). Keep in mind that the sink faucet will be on the left side of the sink, really close to the dryer. You can even see the hole in the granite for the faucet.

I experimented with having a granite backsplash or sidesplash in my case (if such a word exists) but it did not look nice. For instance, the granite I've used is quite thick (see attached photo).

There has got to be something I could use.

Any tips out there? I'd really appreciate them!
Attached Thumbnails
Barrier between kichen sink & washer/dryer-img_3042.jpg  
stripedbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 254

How about an end panel for the sink with a decorative plash wall.

Sorry, I am not very good at Sketchup, but here is what I was thinking. You can make your own decorative cut look much better than mine. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Barrier between kichen sink & washer/dryer-sink-end-paanel.jpg  
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

Dang fat fingers!
Quote:
That is supposed to say splash wall.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #4

MT Stringer,

Thank you very much for trying to help me. However, I have no clue what you're talking about.

What do you mean by "end panel"? What is this panel made of? Plastic? And where would I buy it from? Please explain. I'm all ears.

Sorry to be so clueless.

MT Stringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post

Sorry, I am not very good at Sketchup, but here is what I was thinking. You can make your own decorative cut look much better than mine. :-)
Old 12-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #5

Sorry if I confused you.

The end panel is attached to a cabinet as a decorative touch. 3/4 inch plywood wood do the trick. Cut it to make it look good and attach it to the left side of the sink cabinet. Stain or paint it to match as close as possible to your sink cabinet.

I have attached several pics of our recent remodel. The end cabinet has an end panel attached to the base cabinet via screws from the inside.

Also, you may see a plywood panel between the microwave and the refrigerator. It is 24 inches x 72" tall. It serves two purposes. 1) It provides and end for the counter top to meet against. 2) It provides support for the large cabinet over the refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
Barrier between kichen sink & washer/dryer-mth_8954.jpg   Barrier between kichen sink & washer/dryer-mth_8947.jpg   Barrier between kichen sink & washer/dryer-mth_8961.jpg  
Old 12-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #6

MT Stringer,

You are really helpful! I loved your photos! I now know what an end panel is, thanks to you.

I would like to pick your brains a little more, if you don't mind.

I thought it might be more helpful if you get a better sense of the layout of the space. Please see the 2 photos below.

Please notice that I also have a cabinet above the sink. Given this cabinet, a major concern is how high should any barrier between the washer/dryer and sink be without looking weird?

And there's a door leading to a rooftop deck to the far left of the spot where the washer/dryer are going to sit. This door is going to be replaced with a better one. Also, it's going to open outward, instead of inward, as it's presently designed.

But even if the door remained as an inward swinging door, there is still enough room for it to open completely without hitting the washer/dryer. But the space between the door (when opened completely) and washer/dryer is only like half an inch.

I really appreciate any tips I get. It's a real educational experience for me. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Sorry if I confused you.

The end panel is attached to a cabinet as a decorative touch. 3/4 inch plywood wood do the trick. Cut it to make it look good and attach it to the left side of the sink cabinet. Stain or paint it to match as close as possible to your sink cabinet.

I have attached several pics of our recent remodel. The end cabinet has an end panel attached to the base cabinet via screws from the inside.

Also, you may see a plywood panel between the microwave and the refrigerator. It is 24 inches x 72" tall. It serves two purposes. 1) It provides and end for the counter top to meet against. 2) It provides support for the large cabinet over the refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
Barrier between kichen sink & washer/dryer-img_3043.jpg   Barrier between kichen sink & washer/dryer-img_3044.jpg  
Old 12-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,464

Instead of some permanent answer, I think you should just build 3 sided box and finish the sides with formica or stainless sheet. Slide it in once the appliances are installed, then fix the sides to the cabinet and floor angles.
You will lose the outlet. How is it vented?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #8

I've continued to search for a way to create a nice barrier between my kitchen sink and stackable washer/dryer.

First, I now have the washer/dryer positioned in place so it's easier to visualize how things will play out (see photo below).

In terms of a barrier between the washer/dryer and sink, this is the idea that a kind soul suggested and is now at the top of my list, unless I come across a better one:

Get half inch plywood board that goes from the ground (between the sink cabinet and washer) and up to the top of the dryer.

Get a stainless steel sheet that goes from the bottom of the dryer to its top and to the wall (in other words, from the counter height and upwards). Have this SS sheet’s front edge bent 90 degrees so that it goes over the front edge of the plywood. Glue this SS sheet to the plywood.

I’m actually thinking that if I go with the stainless steel barrier, I might also go with a stainless steel shelf for my dishrack.

Due to space limitations, I planned on building a shelf above the sink and below the upper cabinet for my dishrack. I just measured my current dishrack and saw that I would need a shelf that is 15” by 15”.

I could get a stainless shelf that has holes so that water could could drip onto the sink. Funny enough, I’ve seen various IKEA stainless shelves in a local Goodwill store. Maybe I should pay a visit to the IKEA store in Stoughton, MA and see whether there’s one that is close in size to what I need (I’ve never been to an IKEA store).

Or, if I do not get a shelf with holes, I could have the shelf’s front edge sloped downward, just slightly, to let any water to drip down into the sink.
I also plan to tile the wall above the sink where the shelf will be mounted.
The more I think of the stainless steel option, the more I like it.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #9

As I mentioned before, due to space limitations in my small condo, I'm going with a mounted dish rack (above the sink).

I have not yet had a chance to go to IKEA. Will most likely head there next week.

In the meantime, I've been doing some online searches for mounted dish racks. I had at first thought that a mounted dish rack was a bit weird. However, it looks like they are quite common outside the U.S. like in Europe.

Anyway, here are some finds (in case anyone else is interested):

http://www.gelmar.co.za/index.php?ro...roduct_id=2514

http://www.agreetao.com/taobao/view/id/5872864846

http://missfrances.wordpress.com/cat...rtment-living/

The second one above is from IKEA.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 123

Stainless steel might be hard to find and expensive. I'd probably go with 5/8" oak veneer mdf (what cabinetry is typically made from), and put some tile around the sink area. You might have to get a cabinet maker to cut and put veneer strips on the cut side depending on what tools you have.
readar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement