Attic Conversion - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Conversion

Hi All,
Hopefully I posted this in the right place. I am going to be converting my attic into a master bedroom, bathroom, and closet and I have a framing question. I've gone through the process of creating plans, getting an engineer's approval of the plans, and processing permits to meet local codes . Overall, the project is going forward smoothly.

My question is in regards as how to actually attach my new 2x8 joists to the existing structure. I have old plaster ceilings, so ideally I would like to block the joists up to avoid the plaster mushrooms (or whatever the right term is). My outer load bearing walls have 1" sill plates resting on 8" of brick, and my inner support wall is a 2x4 wall. I can get 3.5" of contact on the existing sill plate, and I can get a few more inches by angling as much of the joist as possible by 2009 IRC allowances. I am planning on overlapping the inner meeting of the 2x8s by ~6" right on top of the inner load bearing wall. The exterior wall has me stumped though. What is the best way to attach the blocking? Attach the joist to the blocking? Simpson ties? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I attached a few pictures to help show my situation.

Thanks!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Attic Conversion-img_2138.jpg   Attic Conversion-img_2045.jpg  
strawny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

I am a bit confused by your post. You say you got "approval" from an engineer. Not sure what you mean by this. The building inspector normally approves your plans. The engineer might design the project, but they don't approve it. If you hired an engineer to design your project, in particular the framing, they should have specified how the connection of the joists and the wall was to be done. If they did not specify this or provide a detail, perhaps you should give them a call and ask, as it is likely a critical detail for the success of your project.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Dang! I knew I wouldn't explain things right. As for the engineering approval, I was specifically trying to address that structurally the existing foundation, side walls, interior load bearing wall, and joist sizing was approved by the engineer.

The structural plan shows the existing sill plate being doubled up with the blocking, and how to attach that second layer to the sill. After calling the engineer, he said that all that was needed, structurally, was toed nails on the joists. It just seems like it will be hard to keep the joist upright (make sense). Maybe I am just over thinking this.

Last edited by strawny22; 04-01-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Typos*
strawny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
attic , framing , joists