Attic Access Panel Issues - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 195795
  • 1 Post By 3onthetree

Old 01-14-2019, 11:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 84

Attic Access Panel Issues

I seem to have a problem with my finished garage and its attic access panel. It just simply won't fit and lay down into the surrounding trim molding and I believe its due to the electrical junction box that is getting in the way. This is the first time I am attempting to install the panel.

The attic access is a standard 22x30 though the cut piece of drywall is not evenly squared as one side is cut to 21" 3/8 and the opposite side @ 21" 3/4. Aside from trimming 1/4" from each side, width wise, I am starting to think I should opt for an access door that swings down into the garage space (and not above into the attic) so the J box won't get in the way.

Thoughts? I have that trim in place now and would prefer not to touch it if possible.

I am sure this has been solved somehow in the past and I would like to hear your story and/or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Attic Access Panel Issues-attic-access-1.jpg  
fastsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,482

Re: Attic Access Panel Issues

Set a T from a drop ceiling in the middle and cut the drywall cover in half.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsvo View Post
I am starting to think I should opt for an access door that swings down into the garage space (and not above into the attic) so the J box won't get in the way.

Sounds like a good idea.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,272

What does that mean - This is the first time I am attempting to install the panel. ? There must have been a cover there before right, as in when the house was built, or did you just cut this access hole or did you just put up that j-box ? I assume the cover was there, you took it off to get up there (to install j-box ?) but now you can't put it back on ? What am I missing here ?
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
195795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #5
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,826

The box should have been installed on top of the joist. That's a lot to crawl through and get caught on. I'd just move the access spot to a clear area.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
The box should have been installed on top of the joist. That's a lot to crawl through and get caught on. I'd just move the access spot to a clear area.
I think there is a ridged conduit there.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdiyer View Post
What does that mean - This is the first time I am attempting to install the panel. ? There must have been a cover there before right, as in when the house was built, or did you just cut this access hole or did you just put up that j-box ? I assume the cover was there, you took it off to get up there (to install j-box ?) but now you can't put it back on ? What am I missing here ?
My garage was recently sheetrocked and Electrical work was done. All I had to do was paint it and Upon finishing the small details I finally decided to try and install the cut out access panel that was left behind for me.

I think the T Bar Method is a viable option except I do need to keep that space accessible if any electrical work or maintenance needs to be done in and around that J box area.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
My garage was recently sheetrocked and Electrical work was done. All I had to do was paint it and Upon finishing the small details I finally decided to try and install the cut out access panel that was left behind for me.

I think the T Bar Method is a viable option except I do need to keep that space accessible if any electrical work or maintenance needs to be done in and around that J box area.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
The T bar does not need to be attached so it will all be removable.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,272

Quote:
It was left behind for you to install b/c the goofs realized it wouldn't fit up into there or they would have put it up there b/4 they left - that's really bad

I agree - move the access spot to a clear area and since ur at it, go ahead and install a set of stairs
195795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
retired framer

Drywall guys here put a 1/2 lip around the hole with metal trim on it so you don't need to do anything but drop in the door piece.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
The T bar does not need to be attached so it will all be removable.

I like this idea and I am trying to find examples online and parts needed but not really finding what I need. Would you happen to have any links handy?
Old 01-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdiyer View Post
It was left behind for you to install b/c the goofs realized it wouldn't fit up into there or they would have put it up there b/4 they left - that's really bad

I agree - move the access spot to a clear area and since ur at it, go ahead and install a set of stairs

Yes, they could have placed that J box higher. Unfortunately, the crawl space up there is so small that the likelihood of accessing the space is low.

The attic access was primarily placed to be able to access the J box.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #13
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,826

I think @Nealtw is talking about just getting 1 Tbar for a suspended ceiling (come in metal or plastic) and cut it to fit. Then you can first slide in a half of drywall under the electrical box, shimmy up the Tbar to that, then drop in the other half of drywall.
Attached Images

3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3onthetree For This Useful Post:
Nealtw (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
I think @Nealtw is talking about just getting 1 Tbar for a suspended ceiling (come in metal or plastic) and cut it to fit. Then you can first slide in a half of drywall under the electrical box, shimmy up the Tbar to that, then drop in the other half of drywall.

Ahh thanks, that helps!

I came across this product which seems like a good fit, though its not fire rated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement