Attaching A Pedestal Sink To The Wall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,378

Attaching a pedestal sink to the wall

I need to install a pedestal sink. They have two holes on the bottom where you can attach the sink bowl to the wall to stop it from rocking and moving, although most of the weight is being held by the pedestal base.

So I test fit the sink, and used a pencil to trace the two holes on the wall. Drilled the holes through the ceramic tiles.

On the other side of the ceramic tiles I found wood blocking. Which is good.

This building is old, 1963. So they way the ceramic tiles were laid, was they nailed a metal mesh to the face of the wood studs, then they applied thick set mortar then the ceramic tiles. There is no sheet rock behind the walls in the bathroom.

The thickset and the tiles together is about 2" thick. Then another 1/2" of space there is 2x4 wood blocking. So if I want to secure it to the wood, I would need at least a 3-1/2" long wood screw.

However, the holes under the sink bowl is recessed in such a way I don't think I can fit a 3.5" screw through it lengthwise, and even if I could, I don't think there is a way to drive that screw into the wood blocking even if I predrill and use a ratchet manually.

Another option is to just drill a larger hole and use toggle bolts against the back of the thickset mortar but I don't want to crack the tiles or the mortar behind it as I tighten the bolts.

Another option is to just use some plastic anchor into the mortar and rely on the weight being on the base and apply a liberal amount of adhesive caulk around the sink wall interface.

Last edited by miamicuse; 10-10-2015 at 02:49 PM.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 592

Install hangar bolts in the wall. Secure the sink with a washer and nut.

http://www.fmwfasteners.com/hanger-b...y-threaded.png

Last edited by rjniles; 10-10-2015 at 03:38 PM.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (10-10-2015), joecaption (10-10-2015), miamicuse (10-10-2015), oh'mike (10-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 582

option 3..we use silicone on base and wall set sink into it ..leave set...another way..install anchors in wall 1 st leaving threads stick out enough to put nut and washer on after sink install...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
miamicuse (10-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #4

Thanks, hanger bolts it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamicuse For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-10-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 10:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,134

Maybe...

https://www.google.com/search?q=pede...tbm=shop&spd=0
ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #6

OK I finally got back to the sink.

Drilled two holes in the tiles, through the thick set. The tile and thick set together is about 2" thick. Then about a 1/4" of space, then 2x4 blocking. The sink at the mounting hole is about 3/8" thick, then there is a washer and gasket. All together the distance from the face of the wood blocking to the washer/gasket is about 2-7/8". If we assume the hanger bolt would be embedded into the wood blocking 1" deep, and another 1/4" for the hex nut to tighten, I need a pair of 4" hanger bolt.

I got a pair of 1/4" size hanger bolts 4" long. After I drilled a hole in the wood blocking and torqued the hanger bolts down, if I put my weight on it I can feel the bolt bent a little. Now I know it's not supposed to take 150# weight but I am wondering if I am pushing it to use a 4" long hanger bolt that is only embedded into wood for the last 1"? Do I need a bigger or longer bolt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement