Asbestos - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By CaptTom
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer

Old 05-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #1

Asbestos

I am buying a house built in 1940 and I plan on removing all drywall and replacing with new drywall. what are the chances of the drywall and plaster containing asbestos. It looks like on the outside old asbestos siding was covered up by new siding
Cesarpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,322

Re: Asbestos

I'd be more concerned with duct work being wrapped with asbestos or asbestos tiles on the floor. Asbestos is only dangerous in dry powder form where it can be inhaled.
Are you sure that house has drywall? Most homes from that era had plaster.
HaleyBo likes this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #3

I could be plaster on the second floor the wall has more texture and the seem harder on the bottom floor it's more smooth the kitchen area I'm pretty sure it has drywall since it has a water leak from the second floor and you can see the paper bubbled up but that could just be paint. If it's plaster is it more likely to have asbestos? I would like a smooth look on walls rather than the texture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,848

If the plaster is in the period of 1940 or before the chance of it containing Asbestos is highly unlikely. As for the drywall i don't know but my guess is it does not, the only way to know for sure is to have it tested.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #5

Ok thank you for your reply it's been helpful 🙂
Old 05-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,750

Hi Cesar,
Just a comment. When guying an older home there are many places where asbestos could have been part of the building/renovation process. Just covering them up still leaves the concern for future buyers and it is always an unknown as to how the market will tolerate any asbestos. Today it is not as well received as it was 20 years ago and who knows about 10 or 20 years from now. With your investment on the line you should look for a definitive statement from an asbestos professional to conclude the house is asbestos free. Do the same with lead paint and pipes. Then keep those documents, forever.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

does this look like asbestos siding?
Attached Thumbnails
Asbestos-screenshot_20180520-132759_1526837318803.jpg  
Old 05-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,322

Most asbestos siding is of the hard shingle variety which that looks like. As long as it doesn't break and crumble there is no danger. Hard to make a good guess without seeing more of the siding and since there are some sidings that are similar but non asbestos it would take testing to be positive. ... but I do think that's asbestos siding.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 58

I would have someone come to your home and test it for asbestos. As said earlier, it's only harmful to your health when it's in a powder form and can be inhaled.
interiordesign2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,146

I think your gonna need a permit for that.?

If so,

What about the electricity.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 18

As an OSHA guy- First and foremost, before handling Asbestos you need to hire a licensed contractor who is certified by EPA/HUD in asbestos removal and/or disposal. This is not a job as a DIY'er you are equipped to handle yourself (legally speaking).

With that out of the way. Asbestos is only hazardous when airborne and breathed in. Removal required turning the room negative pressure, full oxygen fed respiration, a hazmat suit, and hazard waste bags for disposal at a landfill authorized to dispose of hazardous waste (Cratle-2-grave) and wetting down any Asbestos containing material prior to manipulation (to keep the fibers from getting airborne).

Although outlawed in 1977, Asbestos was used in many building materials until to 1980. It is found in wallboard, mud, insulation, floor tile, and almost any building material where strength was an important factor.

I have supervised one Asbestos removal project and I am certified in EPA/ HUD certified Asbestos removal. With that being said, I will only deal with Asbestos when voluntold to my by employer.
IRQVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:38 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,180

I don't want to minimize the danger, but frankly it's a lot worse (legally and medically) for a commercial or industrial operation, where employees could be exposed over a long period. I figure I'm at the age where, if I were to do one job exposing me to some long-term health risk, it's highly unlikely to negatively impact my lifespan. Everyone is free to come to a different conclusion for themselves. I'm just offering one possible point of view.
roofermann likes this.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:27 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,848

When I did my certificate for asbestos back about 12 years ago there was a OPT-OUT clause for the home owner that if he preformed all the work himself and keep the work area down to 6 Sq. / Ft. he did not have to notify the EPA or any other agency about the Asbestos work within his own home. As for disposal it also stated that he could use the waste pick at his home for disposal NO BAGS & NO TAGS.
I would think under the OPT-OUT clause he could do 6 Sq. / Ft. every other week with out notifying any agency.
roofermann likes this.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement