Architect Responsibilities - Exterior Color - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes

Old 02-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Architect Responsibilities - Exterior Color

Hi There,

The project I'm working on is for a downtown urban mixed use property renovation. I'm working with a small architectural firm.

For the exterior of the building, the architect told me to 'pick paint colors' for all of the exterior (several components). I was a bit taken aback by this, but am unsure if I shouldn't have been. I expected the architect to have some type of opinion/PoV on materials, as well as colors for the exterior of the building. Or at least a recommendation or thought on this.

Am I being too sensitive and is this not within the scope of an architect's work? Are architects not responsible for picking exterior color(s)?

Would like to know thoughts/experience of other seasoned remodel-ers within the forum.

Thanks in advance!

-UrbanReno

Last edited by UrbanReno; 02-08-2018 at 02:59 PM.
UrbanReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,674

Re: Architect Responsibilities - Exterior Color

Welcome. Are you a woman? Do you know a woman? If not, you have never experienced picking out colors that have not been approved by a woman. (and I am not being sexist, just speaking from years of experience) It is not your job, nor would I think any respectable architect would take on that formidable responsibility. There are too many choices to make and you will make the wrong ones. Now an interior designer or person in that field may have you up to your ears in colors by nightfall, but it's their job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 606

Should be in his contract.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 334

What is your job title?
Tymbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

I understand the question but am unclear of the exterior components that are in need colors... AS for if it is the architect's job... hmm - if they picked out the design and the components involved, knowing they would surely need painting, then I would go back through the architect's drawings to see if there is any colored drawings included within the package; In which case they have actually already picked out colors or indicated they would if any colors were included with the drawings... if color not provided, ask the firm to give you suggestions since he knew exterior would need painting...

some true paint providers have a designer on board that might would help out if buying their paint...

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #6

Hi Larry!

Thanks for your reply! I must admit it did make me laugh. And, yes, I am a woman.

For my project we are going through our city's historic board, and one of the biggest things they are going to look at will be paint selections (for the detail work on a brick building). The brick is exposed/bare - not painted, but the cornice, and other building elements are painted. I guess in our scenario, I was hoping that our architect would have some type of PoV on paint colors that would be approved, or denied by the historic board, based on experience. With this said, is this still out of scope for architects?

Thanks again!

-UrbanReno LADY
Old 02-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,426

Normally the customer picks the color, sometimes they need a little guidance. Not sure I would ever pick the colors, buy and apply them without getting approval first!

Check with the historical board. They often have pre approved color schemes.
jlhaslip and UrbanReno like this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark sr For This Useful Post:
UrbanReno (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #8

@Tymbo I'm the owner of the building and the project manager. Any title/role would be self-appointed. I have loads of project management experience, however, this is my first building renovation project. I joined this forum to learn from those with more renovation experience.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #9

@DR P , none of the drawings we've received to-date have been colored or 3D from our architect. They've all been flat and in black and white.

Appreciate everyone's input! Thank you!
Old 02-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #10
retired painter

Quote:
Am I being too sensitive and is this not within the scope of an architect's work? Are architects not responsible for picking exterior color(s)?
Some architects pick colors, some don't. Color choosing is more of an interior decorators job. If your contract with the architect didn't specify colors - I wouldn't expect him to choose them for you. You could ask him for advice with the colors and see what he says.
UrbanReno likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mark sr For This Useful Post:
UrbanReno (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 334

Since you are the building owner, it is ultimately your call. As stated earlier, you might get help from architect or designer. We always require materials/colors/samples/shop drawings approved/signed off by the owner. The Architects usually have sample boards made up of all materials/colors/fabrics/carpet/wallpaper/laminate/stone etc. to see how they interact with each other.
UrbanReno likes this.
Tymbo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tymbo For This Useful Post:
UrbanReno (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #12
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

well unless your architect drawings are different from all the ones I've dealt with
they have a little stamp that relieves & assures themselves from most all liability...
in fact in my experiences involving renos and upfits; most make it up as they go
put it all off on the engineers & the MPE subs to work it out... just saying
doesn't surprise me your archer doesn't draw in color

Edit: While I'm not sure your historic society will tell you what colors are approved - I'm certain they will tell you what colors aren't... Go figure

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???

Last edited by DR P; 02-08-2018 at 04:38 PM.
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,406

The architectural firm doing the job usually does the paint color selection and even the name brand of paint to be used. But the paint colors picked, will usually be addressed with the property owner and their choices, all while using the architects expertise.

Then, the architect on his/her plans, will have a page or two or three...of "finish schedule's" that shows each rooms wood trim/cabinets, moldings, paint colors, and floor/ceiling/wall finishes and same with the exterior work to be done.

It is reading like the OP will just be working with the historical board when the colors are picked. They have the last call on what colors will be used outside to keep within the "historical" themes...to be honest. JMO
Old 02-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #14
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,674

Since it is an historical building, I think the architect is not getting involved with colors due to the volatility of the issue. Historical Savannah, for instance, will require not only colors, but where the colors go and don't go. Very picky. I think you are in a good position since they don't want to get involved. Make your own decisions and be happy with them.........as long as it is historically correct, of course.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:24 AM   #15
retired painter

There is software available that will change the colors of your pic. Most paint stores have them and will insert their colors free of charge. Depending on the size/scope of the historical district/society the paint store may have a brochure with those colors. Just another tool to help you decide on color combinations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
architect , exterior , exterior design , paint , paint color