Anyone Know What It Costs To Rent A Dumpster For A Roofing Job? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

anyone know what it costs to rent a dumpster for a roofing job?

I need to re-shingle a house, am going to need to rip off an 3 layer thick old shingle job .. 960 square feet roof.. so a dumpster would be ideal for disposal..

curious if anyone has a idea of the size dumpster I will need and how much they typically cost.. 10 cubic yard or 40...
I have a lot of local places that say they are competitive, so an idea up front on cost would help my negotiations

- also is there an extra fee for shingles? are they considered hazardous materials?
planetearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Re: anyone know what it costs to rent a dumpster for a roofing job?

Dumpster prices vary locally---so you need to check locally.

Here, shingles need to be separate from construction debris--the shingles go to a recycler and not into the land fill.
woodworkbykirk (03-23-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,814

Here the cost is by weight, so estimate the weight of your new shingles and X3 plus a bit for paper and nails. Any metal trim replaced would need to be separated and other construction material as Mike said.

But prices here have been doubling and doubling so you need to get your local costs. Been a few years for me.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,482

You would need 20 yd dumpster and place the debris flat in the container. Weight is not a factor. Search for waste disposal, dumpsters, building debris, etc, with your zipcode. Call and ask. It's not as if you can lower the price through competition - not for retail, anyway. I'm in NJ and it was $600 for 20 yds many years ago (10?). I'd have to start it all over again.
Try not to step on nails (boots a must) and best way is if you can slide the debris from the roof into the container. Resist the temptation to remove huge sheets at once. I got to keep them for one week and sometimes one or two extra days let go, but extra days could be extra cost.
carpdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 270

I just rented a 15yd dumpster about 6 months ago. I'm in the Buffalo, NY area.

The price was $350 for a week. That included everything. I did get hit with an extra $50 for being over the weight limit. So, $400 filled to the rim.
b-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,188

Wow. Prices do vary.

Where I live in the middle of nowhere AZ, no weekly or monthly charges for a dumpster, just a fee each time they dump it. I had a 12 yard dumpster, the biggest one they could get to my house (due to narrow street). I had the beast for almost 6 months as I gutted the house and remodeled. Dumped 3 times, $148 each dump.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 03-22-2016 at 09:03 AM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-22-2016), Yodaman (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I keep a dumpser at my house---super deal $250 a load---I don't know the size, but it is not the great big one.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,378

20 yd sounds about right for this project, this past summer I put 22 sq in a 12 yd, but she was super full. Some of my local vendors charge by weight and some a flat dump fee. But thankfully none require separating the asphalt from regular C & D. I think we paid about $400.
I also keep a 3 yd continually at the house. It gets dumped twice per month for around $65.
Sounds like ZZ has the best vendor we should all be so lucky!
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Sounds like ZZ has the best vendor we should all be so lucky!
Funny though, a few months ago that company got bought out.

I don't have the dumpster any longer as I'm done with the demo (though not the reno), but I have a feeling they will be hiking the dumpster fees, though I also use them for regular weekly household trash pickup and they haven't raised the trash pickup rates,

FWIW these are the guys: http://www.patriotdisposal.com/
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
Funny though, a few months ago that company got bought out.

I don't have the dumpster any longer as I'm done with the demo (though not the reno), but I have a feeling they will be hiking the dumpster fees, though I also use them for regular weekly household trash pickup and they haven't raised the trash pickup rates,

FWIW these are the guys: http://www.patriotdisposal.com/

Give them a few months. Those rates will be a rising. I had local family hauler doing trash pick up for one of rentals. The rate was $17 per unit per month. Big guys come in buy out all the local competition. Rate stayed the same for 6 months. Then about every other month the rate went up 50 cents. After about 18 months we are now over $26/month.
But they do supply nice cans!
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,260

Want some advice from someone who has done what you are talking about?

It's cheaper to just higher out the tear off crew. There are guys who specialize in only roof tear-offs. The come in with a crew of illegal Mexicans, their own dump truck....and in one day they are done. A good crew will also put down tarps around the house to catch all the nails and make sure it's all cleaned up.

It's back breaking work....not worth your time.

BTW...It cost me $600 for the dumpster, and another $1000 for the guy to rip off the roof.....and I still had to do the clean up.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 118

I helped line up a dumpster for a roof tear-off several months ago (I was helping someone else out, so I let them handle the actual order). There was a surprisingly large variation in weight limits between companies before over-weight fees applied, so be sure to pay attention to that. No need to separate shingles from other debris here. Memory is failing me, but I think we got a 20 yd dumpster for around 5.5-6 squares of roofing. That was quite a bit more than needed, but that was intentional as there was a lot of extra junk to get rid of as well and the excess space was put to good use.

Most people around me seem haul shingles dump themselves. I was told that was cheaper, but I wasn't about to haul a roof to the dump in the trunk of my Accord (moving the new roof there was a challenge enough). When I was in western MI it seemed all the contractors used dumpsters, so I guess this is regional.
LanterDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #13
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,578

disposal costs vary by region. some regions its by weight where others are by volume .. its also with what type of debris it is.. some things are recyclable where others are dumped,

locally its done by weight, we have mixed loads which is pretty much everything. wood only, drywall, or landscape debris which is typically tree branches
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement