Advise On Opening Up Wall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 01-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Advise on opening up wall

I am in the process of opening up the wall between my kitchen and dinning room. The wall runs perpendicular to the main support beam so I don't think it is load bearing. In the basement there is a second floor joist located near the wall but not directly under it based on the location of the electrical and thermostat wires. This second joist coincides with a change in exterior overhang going from the kitchen to dinning room. In the attic it does have a few support pieces added to support drywall as the ceiling vaults in the dinning room.
I reached out to a few engineering firms to see if I can get a structural consult but I figured id post here as well. Anyone have any structural engineer recommendations in Western New York?

My plan was to relocate the electrical and thermostat. Adding a 2x8 header across the span before opening up the wall fully. The span is roughly 8 feet.

Does anyone see anything that shouts out load bearing in this scenario. I added a few photos showing the basement joist, the wall in question from the dinning room and kitchen, and the view of the wall from the attic.

Thanks in advance.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Advise on opening up wall-20180101_151834.jpg   Advise on opening up wall-20180101_165102.jpg   Advise on opening up wall-20180101_172641.jpg   Advise on opening up wall-20180101_173022.jpg   Advise on opening up wall-20180101_172631.jpg  

Last edited by jcarere; 01-02-2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Added photo
jcarere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 03:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

Re: Advise on opening up wall

Just some guesses because no one here is on site to see it.
There has to be a reason why the wall was done with 2 X 6's.
I'm seeing what looks like over spanned, under sized floor joist.
Sistered joists.
Not sure what that first picture is of, but there's a cut off 2 X 4.
Really need to have someone that knows what there doing on this one to come up with a code approved plan.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

In the first picture the base of the vertical 2x4 is showing the top of the wall in my kitchen. They extended it up with 2x4s for the drywall to attach for the higher dinning room wall in picture 5. The 2x6's are the ceiling joists above the dinning room.

In the basement the floor joists are 2x8s spanning about 12 feet. The sistered joist was to repair a crack. In the future I plan to have additional sistered joists added to stiffen the floor.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,610

Nothing there but drywall you could go right up to the kitchen ceiling.
If you are worried you could lay a 2x6 across the bottom of the studs in the first picture and screw it there. the above rafter is self supporting.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Out of curiosity, will the thermostat be moved to an outside wall?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #6

Thank you all for your comments.

The thermostat will be moved to the interior wall in the living room. It has always seems tucked away in the dinning area.

Joe
Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarere View Post
Thank you all for your comments.

The thermostat will be moved to the interior wall in the living room. It has always seems tucked away in the dinning area.

Joe
The whole wall could be removed, I am pretty sure.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 708

Once had a house that needed the same wall opened up. House was Rafter framed and the wall was supporting the mid building ceiling joists.

Solution was to build three frames and install them side by side then trim them out as a single opening. Because none of the studs were cut, no extra framing was required and no effect on the structure.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
retired framer

Like this.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #10

Thank you for the responses and the photo.
That is a great idea and I love the look.
I was leery removing the header since it has a double top plate below the kitchen ceiling height. A 2x2 was added to the side of the vertical 2x4 extensions in the attic to support the edge of the kitchen drywall. I would have to block it in the attic prior to removing the plates to make it flush with the current ceiling and to support the drywall.
The roof seems to be supported on the center wall that runs perpendicular into the wall I want to notch. In the attic I was able to see a few supports resting on the top center wall. This leads me to think the wall between the dining and kitchen has no load as each ceiling joist is supported by the exterior wall and the central wall.

Still trying to find a structural engineer locally to make a site visit.

Joe
Nealtw likes this.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 16

Any ideas on how much it is going to cost you to have a structural engineer to come look at it?
Cmoye70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #12

I ended up getting quotes from an Architectural firm and a structural engineer. They both quoted me $250 for a site visit. Extra if they had to inspect crawlspaces or attics.

Went directly with the engineer and he spent the full hour looking over the wall, checking the foundation and checking a previous joist repair. Well worth the money. He confirmed the wall can be removed and pointed out some structural details of my home I was unaware of.

The wall has been cut and its just waiting on the final coat of paint. Very happy with the results.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #13

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/2613/2yYWpg.jpg

[/URL]

Here is an updated picture. Sheetrock was in need of repair so I just took it down to look behind it. The yellow markup is where we would like to move the support down to in order to open up that wall. The red markup is where we would like to remove that doorway and take it to the ceiling to open it also. The green markup is where I would like to put support bracing if possible, in order to open up the wall in the entryway.
Attached Thumbnails
Advise on opening up wall-63374679-0b75-4f8c-9bcd-a43909f65258.jpg  
Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #14
retired framer

If the ends of the ceiling joists do not land or join on this wall and you have nothing supporting the roof from this wall you have nothing to worry about
If you have what looks like a 2x6 in the attic above this wall it is just drywall backing.
To hold it in place put blocks between the joist above it and screw into the 2x6.
One block every 2 or 3 ft. Then you will be able to remove the top plates from below.
The 2x6 will be nailed from above so if you have a cat's claw (nail puller) you could pull those nails and make removing the top plates easier.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #15

Picture of inside attic and wall. #1 in the attic is where the 2x4’s in the other picture are running (#1). There aren’t any ceiling joints attached to this at all in the attic. Where #1 is in the attic that is the center of the house basically where you walk across.

So are you saying that the 2 boards that are running across the ceiling in the inside of the house can be removed? Just trying to clarify. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Advise on opening up wall-5d7f2f83-3f34-4b63-923b-c5e50845a82b.jpg   Advise on opening up wall-41151fd2-6838-44fb-ac17-562bd011fef1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement