Advice Requested PLEASE !!! Bar Top Issue!! - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Advice requested PLEASE !!! Bar top Issue!!

Good evening everyone,

I am just putting the finishing touches on my new place , I have spent all summer remodeling and finally moved in just before T-giving .
My question is this . I am installing a Bar and a peninsula counter top in my place (obviously not in the same room LMAO) the tops are solid rough cut Walnut slabs aprox 2.5 in thick and roughly 17" wide I made on our mill a few years ago . I left the live edges on because I LOVE that look and no one around here has anything like it . I want to know the best way to finish the tops and as well how to clean a prep the dust and crud off the bark without damaging it . ??????
Thank you
P.S> I think I really want to do a pourable top kote but ????
Attached Thumbnails
Advice requested PLEASE !!! Bar top Issue!!-0120181456.jpg   Advice requested PLEASE !!! Bar top Issue!!-0120181457.jpg  
JCDSparky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,746

Re: Advice requested PLEASE !!! Bar top Issue!!

I would not pour a top, it would be near impossible to dam it right. I would sand it smooth and put many coats of poly on it. Two coats then a light scrape, more coats with 600-grit sandpaper between.

Use an air gun to blow the bark clean and put a couple coats of poly on that too, and the sides and bottom.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,624

I agree with ChuckF, except for the air gun.

Do not use any high pressure compressed air around that bark, it will destroy it.

Might use a low pressure on it to see how it does.
OOh I love Walnut , I built a Chessboard in high school with it.

Used Poly back then, and it still looks great.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 708

Often the bark of Live edges are removed because the frequently fall off later.
They still look great without the bark, but I am not you, and my opinion may not matter.
Just making you aware.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

Thank You everyone for your advice, I did do some reading on the pour on epoxy topping and think Damming it properly is going to be near impossible. I was thinking of doing the top finishing down in my shop but then again it is unheated space so that means holding off till may or so and that aint happening LMAO.
So on to the poly - urethane debate then ???? Anyone ?? I hate Minwax it has let me down many times and am not looking forward to 10 or so coats to get the super high gloss glass effect I want so I am open to suggestions (even if it means a minwax product yes ...sigh) LOL.
Ohh so last night while rummaging through a box of cleaning stuff for my boat I ran a\cross a nice kinda stiff but very flexible no abrasive scrub brush and for kicks this am I gently brushed the bark of the bar top ( the pointy kind edge from the pic) and Oooooo dust and crap be gone( ish) . So I think som warm water and vinegar maybe a drop of dawn mixed in to a spritzer bottle I have and try that on it all ?????????
Thank you all keep em coming and I will def post pis of projects might even throw in some pics of the cheap arse kitchen cabinets I built over the summer ( Not yet finished of course )
JCD
JCDSparky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement