Advice On Remodel Of An Addition Built On A Slab - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2018, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 106

Advice on remodel of an addition built on a slab

Advice on remodel of an addition built on a slab-screen-shot-2018-02-03-22.25.53.png

Red= Floor
Green= Walls
Purple= Celing
Yellow Line= Measurement from ceiling to floor
Black arrow= measurement of that floor/ wall section

Sorry in advance for the length of the initial post, but maybe I will cover most of the bases. The above skewed sketch of a room is an addition built on a slab. The main house is on pier and beam and built in the 50’s with water issues since who knows how long ago. What I was trying to show with the picture was that from points b to d is there is a 3” rise. As well as from H to F there is rise of about 2.5”. Funny thing is from F to d there is about a 3” difference according to my laser level and my tape measure, but when its just the tape measure there is only about 1/2” difference. Previous set up was: 2x4 on edge with 2- 3/4” pieces of plywood then carpet. In the back half of the room where d is, there was a bathroom with a leaky shower. So I tore it out and managed to tear the rest of the bathroom plus the remainder of the room after noticing cracks in the slab, rotted out wood and, simply something I had never seen before. As in the odd subfloor over the slab.

Now I am ready to put it all back together and really don’t know the best way. At point H there use to be a door that the bottom is below grade, but really doesn’t hardly leak. But I will be fixing the outside to incorporate a French drain plus other drainage measures (gutter drain, swale, and whatever else needs to be done) to divert water from there. On the inside will add concrete to that area plus brick to ensure nobody knocks it over. My question is, should I just go back the way it was? Put sleepers (floor joist) down, then plywood then the flooring of my choice? I have had it uncovered know for about 2.5 weeks. Have had no issues with water on the floor. The room itself is cinder block finished no insulation. Had paneling over the cinderblocks, but I want to add some insulation to the room.

What are my best options? I was thinking for the walls to go with the blue Styrofoam rigid insulation, then 1x3 (16” oc) furring strips with the pink foamular in between the strips. Then drywall on top of that. For the floor at first I was gonna concrete the whole thing over adding 5” at the points b-h then down to 2” at d-F, but thats a lot of concrete. So as of now I am leaning towards, 2x6 as my sleepers (floor joist) and run a 2x6 all around the edge. Attach sleepers to the 2x6 (16” oc) perimeter with 2x6 joist hangers and blocks between the sleepers. Then attach OSB as the sub floor (not sure what thickness yet). Then finish with vinyl flooring. Was tempted to insulate floor by running ridgid insulation between the 2x6’s but thats still up in the air. One thing to note is that the old plumbing was ran under the subfloor so that is something I will have to contend with as well.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I had added a few comments to a post that was about a year old, but figured it might be best to start a new one. Thanks in advance.
jackislost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Advice on remodel of an addition built on a slab

Just to clarify the water/bathroom situation, what does "really doesn't hardly leak" mean? Is that referring to an external leak? That needs to be corrected first. Are you rebuilding the bathroom too?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
Just to clarify the water/bathroom situation, what does "really doesn't hardly leak" mean? Is that referring to an external leak? That needs to be corrected first. Are you rebuilding the bathroom too?
Sorry for the confusion there. So the spot where there use to be a door I have not seen it leak. There does seem to be signs of past leakage from that area but overall it looks ok. Yes I will be correcting that by installing a French drain and will add concrete block to match the wall.
Gutter drains and anything else that must be done to ensure no water gets in.

The bathroom has been ripped out. The whole area has been gutted and is ready to be put back together the best way possible. Yes I will be putting a bathroom back in because that’s my bathroom. The wife and kid have their own bathroom and it actually needs to be redone as well. But that’s the next project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,890

Post some real pictures of what your talking about or where all going to have to guess.
Slab built on grade with no stem hall will always have issues!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #5

Advice on remodel of an addition built on a slab-old-bathroom.jpg Old Bathroom

Advice on remodel of an addition built on a slab-shower-tearout.jpg Shower Tearout

Advice on remodel of an addition built on a slab-sleepers.jpg Sleepers

Advice on remodel of an addition built on a slab-looking-towards-main-house.jpg Looking towards main part of house

Advice on remodel of an addition built on a slab-entry-main-part-house.jpg Entry to main part of house
Old 02-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #6

There are a few photos of the room. Currently the whole area is gutted. Nothing not even the brick on the floor is there.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:19 AM   #7
Guapo

I would consider reinstalling that exit door? Why was it eliminated? Where is the closest exit?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,162

Is this a garage converted to living space.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #9

The closest exit from where the door use to be is about 15 feet. There is a sliding glass door on the opposite side of the room that leads to the back yard.

No this for sure was not a garage previously. It is in the back yard. And if memory serves me correctly they use to use if for a beauty salon when the builder/ owner lived here years ago. House had been in one family ever since it was built. They did away with the door when one of the kids moved in. If the door was still there it would be opening up to a empty lot next to me. Which to me would be a safety issues since its in the very most rear part of the house, and there is no fence over on that side of the house.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
Guapo

As long as you have a second exit there, all is well. I imagine that a floor can be installed directly over the slab with some underlayment. The sleepers aren't needed AFAIK. I've seen it done both ways.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #11

Sleepers would be done so that the subfloor would be level throughout. Plus there are a few areas where the concrete pad may have been cut into and then re-concreted but the re did part is higher, kinda like a speed bump almost. Also would allow me to do the plumbing to the bathroom under the subfloor similar to how it previously was ran.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
Guapo

Ok, go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
floor joists , remodel , sleepers