Advice On Changing Roof Shape For Resale Value - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 11-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 336

Advice on changing roof shape for resale value

Hi All,

The previous owners had a really big patio overhang added but it took away from natural light in the living room and it had attracted termites often so I had someone remove it.

I asked the person who removed it to leave the corner so it wouldn't expose the roof while I figure out what to do.

Does anyone think it looks terrible? One option is to paint it white so it looks better or the other is to remove it entirely and have the original roof overhang put back in so it blends with the rest of the roof. I obviously rather not spend more money since I already have a big cost ahead for getting the stucco repaired where the overhang was but I should figure out the roof soon because it will cost more to have stucco work done twice if I do the roof modification later. For now I put plastic sheeting up over the missing gap until I figure things out.

I'm mostly concerned with resale value of the house, I may sell it next spring or the spring of 2019. I'm thinking of putting a nice portable gazebo in the patio area or a patio table with umbrella and other miscellaneous patio furniture and then maybe add a wall around the patio for a raised garden with flowers.

I love how much natural light comes in the house now even though I created a lot of work now.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0067.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0176.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0177.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0178.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0179.jpg  

Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0180.jpg  

Last edited by sdrocker; 11-20-2017 at 11:27 AM.
sdrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #2

Re: Advice on changing roof shape for resale value

More photos
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0181.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0182.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0183.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0184.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0185.jpg  

Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0186.jpg  

Last edited by sdrocker; 11-20-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 278

One vote for looking terrible (and unsafe).
RickMacKay likes this.
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
One vote for looking terrible (and unsafe).
Thanks for your opinion, it feels very stable. I could also add another post to the other corner and slide the existing one over a little and then paint it all white but I'm thinking you're right on the aesthetics.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,608

I would change out one post for two, because that may work but it just does not look right. Fix up the flashing dress it out with new wood where ever it looks a little unfinished and paint it to match other woodwork.

Remove the stucco above that line add a flashing over the lower and add vinyl siding that looks like shingles.
Maybe a barge board like this house.
http://www.foundrysiding.com/
Jaime296 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,192

I would think that having an overhang or awning over a walk-out door is generally preferred.

But that thing doesn't look great. Does not look right without a second post holding it up. Hopefully you still have posts from the other section. Maybe paint, maybe some trim will make it look better.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I would change out one post for two, because that may work but it just does not look right. Fix up the flashing dress it out with new wood where ever it looks a little unfinished and paint it to match other woodwork.

Remove the stucco above that line add a flashing over the lower and add vinyl siding that looks like shingles.
Maybe a barge board like this house.
http://www.foundrysiding.com/
Thanks I think I could make that remaining piece of overhang look cleaner by painting and fixing the trim on it, etc. However I'm more worried about the aesthetics regarding the roof shape and it not being continuous. It could look bad/weird with that section of overhang just jetting out like that on it's own. Hmmm.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrocker View Post
Thanks I think I could make that remaining piece of overhang look cleaner by painting and fixing the trim on it, etc. However I'm more worried about the aesthetics regarding the roof shape and it not being continuous. It could look bad/weird with that section of overhang just jetting out like that on it's own. Hmmm.
with a little work it would look better with a hip roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-hip-porch-roof1.jpg  
Jaime296 likes this.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I would think that having an overhang or awning over a walk-out door is generally preferred.

But that thing doesn't look great. Does not look right without a second post holding it up. Hopefully you still have posts from the other section. Maybe paint, maybe some trim will make it look better.

Yea that's true a second post would help it and some trim and then paint could make it look ok. I just don't know if it's going to look awkward still due to the roof shape being different everywhere else. The overhang would cover the garage door but not the kitchen door so it might make it useless. If I need to do significant changes that cost alot, it might be cheaper to just restore the original roof if I had someone do it even though the original home doesn't have a very wide overhang.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
with a little work it would look better with a hip roof.

Thanks that would look nice but seems it could be expensive. I was hoping to not spend much money hence leaving what I have and painting it, or if I need to spend much than just have the original roof shape put back.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #11
retired framer

Yup, rough guess would be about $1000 plus your labour.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #12

Quote:

I think two posts would look funny unless that remaining piece was wider. Unfortunately I told the person to take everything off except anywhere that might expose roof so that I could worry about it later. If he had left it a bit wider so it covered over the kitchen door it might be more functional and look better with two posts.

I still wonder if the difference in angle from the original roof and the overhang would look weird since their is a large discontinuity just right of the garage access door. I definitely agree an overhang of some sort is preferred over the kitchen door and garage door for laundry and garage access.

I also like the amount of lighting I get into the kitchen with it open so maybe the original house overhang would suffice.

Here's another photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0193.jpg  

Last edited by sdrocker; 11-20-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #13

Quote:

These photos show the angle difference a little better. If I were to extend the original roof the overhang would be less but it would maybe blend in and it could extend up to just before the kitchen window and that would give an overhang over the kitchen door for getting to the garage door.

I could do the same with the existing one (too bad the guy cut more than he needed to) and add a second post but I don't know if the angle differences and discontinuity in the roof shape are going to look really bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0197.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0198.jpg  
Old 11-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #14

Does anyone think the two post ok in the photos I modified? It seems it would be expensive to change the roof back to exactly original condition and it might look a little boring as well.

Here are some photos.

Also last image is of a house nearby with the same exact configuration and original roof shape. I don't know if that would look better?

One thing that comes to mind is that the current overhang remnants stick out so one would ask what is it good for? It does help when walking from the kitchen to the garage from the back. The original overhang would not have much coverage when going from the kitchen to garage when its raining.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0159-p.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0170-p.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0176-p.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0177-p.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0178-p.jpg  

Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0179-p.jpg  
Old 11-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #15

More photos
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0179-p.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0192-p.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0193-p.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-img_0181-p.jpg   Advice on changing roof shape for resale value-slide6.jpg  

Last edited by sdrocker; 11-21-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement