Adding A Closet - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes

Old 04-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 203

Adding A Closet

I live in a split level house. Because of the upstairs closet and stairway there is a cubbyhole in the basement that screams closet. I was told by some friends that it would be "very easy" but I have some questions. To begin with, can it be done?

Hopefully you can get a good idea of the layout. As you can see it is already being used as a pseudo closet!

First question(s): In the first picture you can see two folding chairs leaning against the wall. Behind the chairs is an intake vent for the furnace and a power outlet. I am guessing the outlet could easily be moved behind the fish tank. But the intake vent I have no idea what to do with it or how difficult it would be to deal with. Any ideas?

Second Question: When we moved into this house the basement was finished with a very dark wormwood paneling. It made the room look like a dungeon so I painted it. It looked like someone went crazy with darts after that so I used drywall paste, filled every single hole, and painted it again. We had little spare money at the time so it worked out OK. This is some thick paneling and there is no drywall underneath. When I build the closet won't it be impossible to match the wall? I had one idea. I could pull down the panels inside the closet and replace it with drywall. then I could use the wood I pulled down to form the outside wall of the closet.

Any input would be appreciated.
Hurriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

What's that on the floor, carpet?
How deep is that area?
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #3

It is 22 year old carpet. We are remodeling some other things and the carpet will be replaced in the end. If you mean the foundation wall, it is 40" from the floor to the outside ground level. The back wall is against the crawlspace so there is some room to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #4

I didn't realize until today what you were asking. The depth is 29 inches.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,889

It is an easy project and you have most of the details worked out.

The only issue I see is that return air will need to be moved to a location where the air can flow. I don't think behind the aquarium counts. The is no rule against having an outlet inside a closet so you don't have to move it unless you want to. You may have to add one to the room to meet the 6' spacing rule.

Quote:
The depth is 29 inches.
So you will net 25 or 27 depending on which way you run the studs. Either way and size are fine.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #6

Here is two pictures showing the vent from both sides of the wall. The second is taken in the crawl space. The "closet" measures W82"xD29"xH88 1/2".

Old 04-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,262

Reusing the paneling from "inside" the closet is a definite possibility. As is redoing the entire wall and making it a "feature wall".
Does the crawl space go behind the fish tank wall? If so it may be easy to relocate the cold air intake there.
If not consider relocating it to the end of the closet near the fish tank. then box it in coming out to the front wall of the closet. so inside the closet there will be a little box on the corner encasing the ductwork. Your doors would start beside this and go to the other side wall or as far as you like.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

If you don't mind I will continue this post. I have been really busy and not that serious about this project but I need to get going. The closet idea has morphed into something a bit different. We would like to build something like in this link.
http://www.thehappyhomebodies.com/20...sets-from.html

I was wondering If I should leave the existing walls and build MDF boxes into like the link? I can build a platform on the floor and move the cold air intake through it and mount it in front. I could also mount the electrical outlet there but I'd need to learn how to do that.

Any ideas or input is always appreciated.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,889

It can work and you can learn. For the return it is the total square inches. Long and not too tall works as well as a box. For the wiring you might get lucky and be able to move the entire box.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

I agree with Colbyt's point
glenkpineda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,036

It seems like they made millions of this **** in the seventie's it was usually originally faux wood.
here is a source for unfinished replacement if you need. also lowes sells some similar paneling.
http://www.mantelcraft.com/plywood-w...-unfin-veneer/

most people just painted over it.
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-...project-212482

Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mingledtrash For This Useful Post:
Hurriken (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #12

I like that a lot. Thanks for posting.

I was thinking that the air intake duct would be easy to extend but I found something that might slow me down. The electrical outlet is actually inside of the cold air intake!

I could extend it and mount it on the closet base next to the air intake, however I have my aquarium plugged into that so the cord would always be exposed. I think I will move the outlet to the left of the closet.

I was just thinking, can I just do this or would I need a building permit?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,036

The electric wiring in the plenum is a big no no. get it out of the duct. as far as permit goes you would have to ask your local code authority.
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #14

So the first thing I need to do is move the outlet. I would have to extend the wire about 5.5 feet, not to mention the conduit. I'm assuming I would need to redo all the wiring from the Circuit breaker or can I just splice it in?

City says I need a permit to do anything electrical.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #15

So this was the week I was supposed to get a big jump on this project. I took the week off of work. I woke up sick as a dog Sunday and really wasn't myself until this morning. Sunday while I was sick the internet went out. Long story short. The ISP blamed it on me, I disassembled my computer setup trying to fix it, then the ISP called and said Whoops it's us but didn't get service back up until today(Wednesday) and it somehow screwed up my router so all the settings had to be redone. Then there is a dead mouse in the attic over one of the closets. We sure can smell it but after 2 hours searching I couldn't find it. And finally I was able to start working on this confounded closet.

The "closet" is in the basement of a split level. I noticed today that in one various places there are some moisture stains on the bottom of the wood paneling. I had thought the 23 year old paint had just faded, I was wrong.I don't think it was ever soaking wet just damp. The wood is still solid and undamaged but there is some light mold in places. The carpet I pulled up in that corner is spotless and clean. I sprayed Concrobium Mold Control on the affected areas that I am going to build over but now I'm having concerns. I don't think this happened recently either so I'm not too concerned about leaking. Any thoughts on what I should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement