3 Level Porch Chicago - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

3 level porch Chicago

Hi, I need help with a project. Have no idea where to start.

There is a 3 level porch that i have to repair in Chicago. Im doing my research and cant find anywhere on how to attach 4 - 6x6 columns to existing footings.
I have to ideas on how to do it but am looking for an easier way out.

1. Support the joists and beams and cut existing columns, notch them and put anchor brackets under

This method sounds like my only way but it requires alot of work.

This job is suppose to pass city code inspection and i tried to get in touch with inspector but no one is answering my phone.

Please if you have any idea on how to do this type of job help me
file:///C:/Users/Gediminas/Desktop/Darbo%20Projektai/Van%20burren%20porch/IMG_1621.JPG

file:///C:/Users/Gediminas/Desktop/Darbo%20Projektai/Van%20burren%20porch/IMG_1624.JPG
dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,036

Re: 3 level porch Chicago

It seems like we already went over this. there really is not a easier way to do it.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/need-...-porch-374666/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingledtrash View Post

https://www.strongtie.com/retrofitpo...bz_base/p/rpbz

I would recommend temporarily supporting your deck and pulling the post to the side and using the bases that joecaption posted a link to. Its a better base, its the right way to do it and, will look much better when your finished but, they do make these retro fit ones too, if you want to use them it will be faster and easier.
These are retro fit bases you dont have to pull out the posts or any thing like that, just install to the manufacture specs but they dont look the best.
I believe every option has been covered in your other thread you just need to make a decision and go with it. also if the building department wont answer the phone you can always drive down to there office you will need to anyway to pull the permit.

Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 11:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

I see well thank you for the help im just trying to figure out a best way of doing it. Out of curiosity whats the lowest point on the 6x6 column that you can notch the columns together?
dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2016, 07:10 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

You are in Chicago, which you are no doubt aware had a tragic failure of a multi-level deck a few years ago, resulting in several fatalities. So you are no doubt aware that the building department has multi-level decks on their radar. You CANNOT get reliable information about critical construction details for a Chicago multi-level deck on an internet chat forum. You NEED to talk to the building inspector before you construct, and preferably before you design, so you don't waste your time designing a project which fails to comply with local code.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
jlhaslip (03-20-2016), joyful45 (03-18-2016), Mingledtrash (03-18-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement