2nd Story Above Former Deck - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

2nd story above former deck

We bought a house a year ago in Miami. It's wood-framed and has what was once a deck converted into a 3rd bedroom with full bathroom. About 12' x 20'. We want to add a second story to it that would be bedroom only - no bathroom.

I'm attaching pictures here and a REALLY rough mockup but wondering if this is something I should talk to an architect or a GC about? We just want a sense of cost to determine whether or not we can even do the project. Our budget would be around $40k. I'm concerned about the foundation -- you'll see the crack in the photos.

alexismiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,896

There's just no way anyone on any website should be guessing at prices or would know is this could even be done with what you have know.
Before doing anything I'd be talking to zoning and the building dept. to see if the addition will be allowed, then make some calls to some local contractors to get some real world prices.
If it was mine I'd be going with a gable style roof not the one your showing in that sketch.
Far easier to vent.
If that's aluminum siding it's going to make it far harder to work with.
PS, Those steps need to go, Should have been a stoop then the steps.
There to narrow, wrong run and rise.
Advertisement