1 Inch Thick Concrete With Tile. Can I Go Over It? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joecaption

Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

1 inch thick concrete with tile. Can i go over it?

Guys,
I just bought an investment property to rent and it has this 1 inch thick or more in the bathroom and kitchen. I wanted to demo the bathroom but keep the tile in the kitchen a go over it. Is this possible? Is it wrong to do it this way? It is so much tile in the kitchen.

I have a picture below. It is one of those 1950s or 60s homes located in Pittsburgh.
Attached Thumbnails
1 inch thick concrete with tile. Can i go over it?-img_1490.jpg  
ccoaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,884

Re: 1 inch thick concrete with tile. Can i go over it?

Anyone else having trouble understanding this post?
A 1" thick what?
" but keep a tile over a go over" ?
So much tile in the kitchen?
Tile in a kitchen or bathroom is a selling feature!
huesmann likes this.
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,438

Re: 1 inch thick concrete with tile. Can i go over it?

I think you mean dry pack base for the tile floor. I've never seen it for a kitchen, though. Bathroom bases that I saw, were not in good conditions for retiling. They had crumbly surfaces. But check mapei website. I think I saw resurfacer that could give you a new surface. As long as your base has no cracks and feels hard enough, you should be able to use the base you have. Ask this question again in the floor/tile section of this forum. Search for tile dedicated forums. This may be also a question that can't be answered unless an expert's eyes were on site.

Mapei also has "primer" that can be applied over old tiles so you can tile over. Old way was to scratch the old tiles with rough sander, or new may be diamond surface grinder cup.

Dry pack does not mean the cement was dry. It is mixed with water but not to a slurry. If you squeeze a ball of it, there's be absolutely no sign of moisture. I'm planning a new tile over old as well. It does raise the floor height. For smaller entrances into a bathroom, higher threashold is ok, but may not be for kitchen to living or dining room transitions.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement