Wood Type Recommendation - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 319

Wood type recommendation

For a closet: two shelves about 12'' deep by 7' long. Supported on both 12" sides and about 2/3 of the back (7') side. Supports are 2x4s on edge.

It's my wife's closet. I want them to be made out of a wood that will take careless abuse, be able to hold more weight than she will put on it and not bow.

I was thinking 5/4 or 1" poplar. Is there a better choice in type or thickness (something easily obtained)?

Thanks.
Bob... is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 19,174

Why the 2 X 4's and not just 1 X 4's. 2X's is a but over kill and not going to be the best look.
If you use 1X's screwed to the studs in predrilled pilot holes across the back wall and on the two sides, then add a piece across the front to act as a support it will stop it from sagging and look like a face frame on a cabinet.
I've been using the laminate shelving board sold at Lowes. It's sold in the lumber area not the storage area.
If you prime it and paint it with two coats of Enamel paint it should hold up fine.
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,166

as Joecaption mentioned, 3/4" shelf with a face frame from 1x2 will be strong for the span or I've used a 12" stair tread (pine) with the rounded front edge on 7' closets and cleats only on the sides, none needed for the face. 8' treads can be found at the building supply.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

If you plan on having a closet pole too, you could use closet shelf brackets, one in each corner, and two or 3 into the studs to keep the shelf, (and pole), from sagging. They look better than a 2 x 4. Your shelf spans will be much shorter so material does not have 7' to span.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 319

Thanks for all the good ideas. I wound up going with hand drive's stair tread idea. Works fine (thanks hand drive).

Joe: The 2x4s will be hidden from view, but overkill is my middle name .
Bob... is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob... For This Useful Post:
hand drive (07-23-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement