DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wood trims in Bathroom, wood or non-wood

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dbbyleo 
#1 ·
I'm finishing my basement... and in the bathroom, I'm planning on installing a 60'x40' drop in tub. I want to touch up the bathroom with wood trims, such as wainscotting... much like I've seen in some magazine. With the exception of a short tile surround, the tub will be surrounded with wainscotting and wood trims.

I'm worried about having wood material in the bathroom, especially with all the wainscotting I plan on installing.

Do you recommend finding a non-wood product wainscotting? if so, what products out there can you recommend?

#2 ·
If you plan on installing alot of wood directly adjacent to a drop-in tub, you could look at Koma Board (Composite material - non wood).
Link: http://www.komatrimboards.com/companion/edgecenterbead.htm

As far as trimwork in a bathroom, unless you have young children or plan on splashing around alot yourself, such wood trim work, is generally well protected with several good coats of paint.

#3 · (Edited)
I agree with AtlanticWBConst.

I have used quite a bit of wood in bathrooms and have never had a problem (when used with a semi-gloss paint). Originally, I had the same concern as you and ordered a composite blinds for a window in a bathroom. However, I put real wood blinds on a large window directly above a bathtub a few years ago and do not have any moisture damage.

The size of the bathroom is also a factor. Steam and humidity can disperse better in larger bathrooms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.