What's A Good Way To Close Off This (former) Pool Deck? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By Domo

Old 05-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

What's a good way to close off this (former) pool deck?

What's a good way to close off this (former) pool deck? Well currently its still a pool deck, but I'm getting rid of the pool.

Ideally I'm thinking of shorting the sides some, but I'm not sure how that will look. And just putting a railing around how it is now, won't look good. Any other ideas of what to do with it?

HarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 594

Re: What's a good way to close off this (former) pool deck?

I'd get rid of the two narrow ends and then square up the rest and install railing - maybe a set of steps.
Two Knots, stick\shift and HarryS like this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 01:48 AM   #3
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,084

Re: What's a good way to close off this (former) pool deck?

Stairway at both "horn" ends going down to ground level.

Rock wall built up where current pool perimeter is, tapering to ground level at the horns to match the steps.

Fill the pool are high near the rock retaining wall to within 18" of the deck (or your local code requirement where you do NOT need a railing).

Xeriscape the rounded area, with a couple of trees, flagstone pathway and local bushes/shrubs/flower from a nearby forest (so you know you don't have to water them and feed that all the time, since that plant already lives locally).

Could end up with a nice natural garden plus expansive deck. Just takes lots of rocks and fill to raise the level to the maximum to avoid the railing on the existing deck. (I don't mean fill the entire pool area - just around edge where the deck is and then let it slope down to ground level at the center of the pool and near the "horns" on either side.

Assuming the pool is about 24' diameter you'd need to make a mound about 1/2 the circle - or 37' long in a curve to match the deck. Assuming you can avoid having a rail with less than an 18" drop to the top of the mound, and assume the pool deck is 4' above the ground, then the mound would need to be 30" tall. Since it's a mound (possible held under the deck with stacked rock, the mound would slope to a width of around 4' or so till it met ground level.

With those assumptions, you'd need about 8 cu yds of fill...plus some rocks to stack. See the diagram...
Attached Thumbnails
What's a good way to close off this (former) pool deck?-screen-shot-2019-05-07-11.47.39-pm.png  
HarryS likes this.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement