What Should I Do With This Closet? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,077

What should I do with this closet?

I have always cherished the tips Iíve gotten on this forum.

I have a small condo (535 square feet).

The condo has a closet in my small bedroom.

I also have a pantry in the kitchen.

Between the kitchen and living room is yet another closet. But this closet is only 12 inches deep. One cannot shut the closet door if a normal coat hanger is hanging on the rod (see photo below). To shut the door one needs to move the hanger sideways.

Unfortunately, I cannot make the closet deeper because right behind it is a chimney flue that is surrounded by bricks. This flute begins in the basement, above a water heater and furnace, and goes up 3 floors and comes out on the roof (see roof photo).

I could get smaller hangers. But I donít think these hangers can work with an adultís clothes.

What can I do with this space?

The closet is 7 feet and 7 inches tall. And itís 2 feet wide.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

stripedbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 107

I had closer like this in one bedroom which I uses as an office so the closet has shelves in now.but before that it had a folding contraption on the back wall that held hangers parallel to the wall

Or you could put in a sturdy shelf and hang a pipe on the underside going front to back . Hangers would hang with front of the hanger facing you.
jimn01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016, 02:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,598

Re: What should I do with this closet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01 View Post

You could put in a sturdy shelf and hang a pipe on the underside going front to back . Hangers would hang with front of the hanger facing you.
Rather than a "pipe" you could use these with the appropriate (3/4") chrome rod. https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandlefo...-pack_p4821974
(I assume that similar products are available in North America)
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #4

Actually, I gotten a totally new idea that I'm exploring. A kind person brought my attention to something called a valet rod. See here:

http://www.closetbay.com/Valet-Rods/...-Valet-6-hole/

Something like this might work with my space. Maybe I can install 2 of them.

What do you think?
Old 06-28-2016, 10:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedbass View Post
Actually, I gotten a totally new idea that I'm exploring. A kind person brought my attention to something called a valet rod.
Make sure that you have something solid (like a stud) in which to screw it.

Since it is unlikely that you will have two studs (or even one) in the right place. you will probably need first to screw a horizontal board to the existing studs across the rear wall.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

FrodoOne,

Thanks for your suggestion. There is a piece of wood already in the closet. The problem is what to do with the other pieces of wood that hold the hanger rod. Leaving them on the wall doesn't look nice. I guess I'll have to remove them. Or maybe seal the holes that held the hanger rod. See photos below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
Make sure that you have something solid (like a stud) in which to screw it.

Since it is unlikely that you will have two studs (or even one) in the right place. you will probably need first to screw a horizontal board to the existing studs across the rear wall.
Attached Thumbnails
What should I do with this closet?-closet4.jpg   What should I do with this closet?-closet5.jpg  
Old 06-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
FrodoOne,

Thanks for your suggestion. There is a piece of wood already in the closet. The problem is what to do with the other pieces of wood that hold the hanger rod. Leaving them on the wall doesn't look nice. I guess I'll have to remove them. Or maybe seal the holes that held the hanger rod. See photos below:
Personally, I would not worry about two holes in a small cupboard that only you will ever see.

However, if it really does concern you, you could make the grand effort of removing the pieces of timber concerned. "plastering" over the indentations which will remain, undercoating and painting the interior - probably in a "semi-gloss" paint - and from thereon enjoy the small cupboard space.
(I will admit that I have so painted the inside of my hanging spaces.)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #8

Unfortunately, Iíve just finished doing all the measurements. Valet rods will not work because I only have room for one rod. The closet is too narrow to fit 2 rods. Itís only 2 feet wide. I really thought this idea would work!

So itís back to shelves as the best way to utilize this space.

Maybe I can do an adjustable shelves thing. The only problem is that the adjustable shelves Iíve seen always look tacky. But there could be some good looking ones out there. Iíll have to do some more homework.

One good thing with the shelves idea is that at least the closet is tall (7 feet, 7 inches). So I can fit a number of shelves.

I must now seem like an idiot who is totally clueless, jumping from one idea to another. Sorry for causing confusion. However, I really do appreciate all the tips I've gotten.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #9

As I mentioned in my previous post, Iíve decided to install shelves in the closet between my kitchen and the living room, instead of using it to hang clothes (itís just not deep enough so regular hangers prevent the closet door from being shut).

Since I have a pantry in the kitchen, maybe Iíll use this closet for linen and shoes.

The closet is 7.5 feet tall. And itís 2 feet wide. And 12 inches deep.

Today I removed the hanger bar. See attached photos below.

The next thing is to apply a coat of joint compound over the screw holes and other holes then do some sanding. Then Iíll prime and paint the closet.

Stupid questions:

1) For the shelves, can I simply use strong anchors for the brackets or do I have to find studs for each bracket? Since I plan on installing as many shelves as I can, I doubt Iíll be able to find enough studs.

2) Anyone know of any cool shelf brackets that I can use?

3) For the shelves, I plan to stain the wood and then apply polyurethane. Any suggestion of what kind of wood I should use or does it not matter?

Old 07-15-2016, 05:14 AM   #10

Quote:

Stupid questions:

1) For the shelves, can I simply use strong anchors for the brackets or do I have to find studs for each bracket? Since I plan on installing as many shelves as I can, I doubt Iíll be able to find enough studs.

2) Anyone know of any cool shelf brackets that I can use?

3) For the shelves, I plan to stain the wood and then apply polyurethane. Any suggestion of what kind of wood I should use or does it not matter?
I can think of two ways in which you could install shelves in such a cupboard and in each case it is essential that you locate the studs, which should be right at the corners.

Do not attempt to affix brackets to the plaster-board/drywall.

The first method, with shelves of fixed height, is to screw battens (strips of timber - say 1" x 2" [actually, 19 mm x 38 mm]) at the same level on each of the side walls. Then, cut the shelf timber slightly smaller than the width and depth of the space available - so that the shelves can be inserted into the available space at an angle an then dropped to sit on the battens.
If the load on the shelving is to be heavy, a batten across the rear wall at the same height would also be required but it may not be necessary with the small width involved, depending on the thickness of the shelving material.
(I note that you have removed a group of such battens from the closet concerned!)

The second method would be to use what is here called "S/track Handy Shelving" (See https://www.bunnings.com.au/shelving...2500w_p2580198)
This consists of metal strips (of various lengths and colours) which are screwed to the studs, together with "shelf brackets" of various depths on which the shelves sit. The brackets are inserted in slots in the strips and can be adjusted up and down a few inches at a time if/when required.
(I presume that a similar product would be available in North America.)

I have used the first method to re-fit shelving in several "Linen Cupboards" and have used white melamine coated MDF for the shelving. This material has one edge "finished" in the same material, so it is necessary only to cut it to size. (See https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-rang...oards/melamine)
(Again, presumably similar material will be available in North America.)

Last edited by FrodoOne; 07-15-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 4

It may be too late to chime in but have you considered using it to store brooms, vacuum, etc with a few shelves on top?
kernel610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 206

Add a rod coming out from the center just short of the depth, hang the few jackets sideways. That would work at least get a few shirts or jackets in there, then build shelves in the rest.
pcride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement