UN-bending Oak Filler For Cabinets? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By SPS-1

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 38

UN-bending oak filler for cabinets?

On a project that's taking far too long, I finally got the "kitchen cabinets" installed in what's to be 1/2 laundry room, 1/2 home office. Hmm, they didn't have toe kick trim, and I can see I'd need a filler at one point. Well, I went and looked where I've been storing things (an enclosed but unheated porch) and discovered a long package; the cabinet distributor thoughtfully had provided both. And I forgot them. VERY poorly stored.

All look good except that, due to the position in which they were stored, the prefinished oak 3/4" x 3" x 90" filler has a bow to it. Now what?

My first inclination is to thoroughly wet the wood, store it bent the other way, leave it for a while (hopefully not for as long as it took to bend it in the first place!)

Is there a better solution? PLEASE don't tell me I need to make a steam box - I tried that once on another project, failed completely.
Seabrook1983$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 23,952

Re: UN-bending oak filler for cabinets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook1983$ View Post
On a project that's taking far too long, I finally got the "kitchen cabinets" installed in what's to be 1/2 laundry room, 1/2 home office. Hmm, they didn't have toe kick trim, and I can see I'd need a filler at one point. Well, I went and looked where I've been storing things (an enclosed but unheated porch) and discovered a long package; the cabinet distributor thoughtfully had provided both. And I forgot them. VERY poorly stored.

All look good except that, due to the position in which they were stored, the prefinished oak 3/4" x 3" x 90" filler has a bow to it. Now what?

My first inclination is to thoroughly wet the wood, store it bent the other way, leave it for a while (hopefully not for as long as it took to bend it in the first place!)

Is there a better solution? PLEASE don't tell me I need to make a steam box - I tried that once on another project, failed completely.
pre finished did not help, it has either absorbed moisture from the back making the back longer or dried more in the back make the back shorter.

So which is it?
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
pre finished did not help, it has either absorbed moisture from the back making the back longer or dried more in the back make the back shorter.

So which is it?
Good point. Prefinished on "front", now the concave surface, raw oak on the "back" now a convex one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Good point. Prefinished on "front", now the concave surface, raw oak on the "back" now a convex one.
I would store it it in the house for a month and hope it comes back.
ChuckF. likes this.
Old Today, 10:54 AM   #5

I was hoping for a more pro-active course of action, but thanks. Right now, that's what I'm doing. Thinking about putting some tension on the wood while I'm waiting.
Old Today, 01:13 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
I was hoping for a more pro-active course of action, but thanks. Right now, that's what I'm doing. Thinking about putting some tension on the wood while I'm waiting.
The problem is that it absorbed or lost moisture only to the raw side and it has to come back to normal the same way. It will only be straight when the front and back are equal and the moisture in the board is in the centre.
Old Today, 01:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8,162

I would not wet it. But if you fixture it with a reverse bend in it for a couple of weeks, that should take some of the bend out of it.

How is it mounted ? If you have solid wood to mount it to, put some PL Premium behind it --- once it sets, it ain't moving anywhere.
Dave Sal likes this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement