Trash Can Pull Out - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By 3onthetree
  • 1 Post By tdisss

Old 10-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Trash can pull out

Im planning to make a pullout for a trash can/recycling bin in the space that used to house a trash compactor. See attached picture. I am good on the construction of the mechanism. However, my question is how can I make the front of the pullout match the rest of the kitchen? I have failed to match the color of the cabinets exactly since they are most likely from the 90s. My appliances and sink are stainless steel so my next thought was to wrap the wood for the front of the pullout with a faux stainless steel. Ive searched for ideas but am not coming up with much. Also, any ideas on a handle for the pullout? Thanks for any feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Trash can pull out-trash-project.jpg  

Last edited by Hoosiers87; 10-08-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Hoosiers87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,478

Re: Trash can pull out

That looks to be oak , I would start there.

Any decent paint store can match your existing finish color in a tinted stain that you then finish with a clear acrylic.

A professional cabinet shop can make any pattern that you want, in a panel and finish it the way that matches this also, you then just place the panel onto your drawer box.

ED

As for the drawer pull, look online for a place that specializes in rare old cabinet hardware.

There are some that advertise that they have thousands of obsolete styles in stock.
SPS-1 likes this.

Last edited by de-nagorg; 10-08-2019 at 10:25 PM. Reason: add ps
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 06:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,912

When selecting hardware for your pull-out, consider that you probably want to keep the bin closed off.
A few ways to do this, - this system has a stainless steel sheet over the bins. It would have a bit of vertical float (just slotted holes) to allow the sheet to sit, touching, on top of the bin.
Attached Thumbnails
Trash can pull out-bin.jpg  
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,288

If you are really stuck, you could match the dishwasher with the stainless.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #5
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 2

Did you keep the old compactor? Maybe you could remove the door and use that to cover your cabinet frame you build.
Nealtw likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 358

You can buy an IKEA base cabinet with one pull-out bottom drawer and GREVSTA (stainless steel door front to match your appliances). it's available in standard cabinet width sizes (12", 15", 18")
You could place double trash/recyclable bins on top of the drawer.

Trash can pull out-cab.png

Trash can pull out-cab2.jpg

Trash can pull out-cab3.jpg

You don't have to buy the cabinet frame (you can build your own), you need just a door and a drawer
huesmann likes this.

Last edited by tdisss; 10-09-2019 at 08:32 AM.
tdisss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 14

I'm assuming you're planning to use something like a Rev-A-Shelf pull out for the can; they're usually made to accept a standard cabinet door. The cabinet door is the easy part, these guys do fractional dimensions and even custom millwork if you ask them:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NFO7632/

The tricky part will be building the face frame around the opening, and adding a toe kick. A Kreg jig will be invaluable for this. The face frame will likely be 3/4" thick, and you should be able to buy it in oak at most lumber yards. It would probably be a good idea to test finish some of the oak before building the face frame, so you can get a good match with your existing finish, which looks like white washed oak. You'll want to size the breadth of the face frame boards so that the amount of face frame that shows (after the door is mounted) is consistent with the surrounding cabinetry. Likewise, you'll want the height of the top and bottom face frame boards to correspond with the adjacent openings, so the top and bottom of the door aligns with the door and drawer front to the right. It looks to be a good little project, and one that will require more thought than effort. Good luck!
Lemon7415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement