Shelf Supports - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 751

Shelf Supports

Hello Again,

I built a small shed and I want to load it with shelves. I would buy ready made supports, but I need at least 50 of them and they are too expensive, so I thought I'd make my own. I found the attached supports online and I like them, as they don't hang down too far. As you can see by the attachment, there is a 2x2 in the center of the support. My questions: Should I cut the outside pieces from 3/4" plywood, or 1x3's? Should I buy 2x2's for the center piece, or should I rip 2x4's in half?

Many Thanks,
Russell
Attached Thumbnails
Shelf Supports-12-shed-top.jpg   Shelf Supports-12-shed.jpg  
RustyRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 474

For me I like I like to work with dimensional lumber when I can, as for ripping I also like to take as many steps out of the job as I can otherwise the hours can add up.
BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 436

I wouldn't even consider dimensional lumber for the outside pieces. The force being placed on the fasteners would be pretty much in line with the wood grain, dimensional lumber can split in those situations and your shelf falls down. Plywood typically won't do that. I would use 3/4" plywood you won't regret it later. As for the center piece I agree why rip it if you don't have to? That being said it also depends on the quality of 2x2 you are getting. They tend to warp and twist horribly, but you will know that when you go to buy. In my area the lumber yard always has better stuff than big box and typically cheaper too.
KC_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 249

I agree with using 3/4" plywood on the outside.

2x4's ripped will often produce warped boards, sometimes worse than others. Since you need 50 of these, I would suggest grabbing 2x8's or 2x10's, cross-cut to make them manageable, then rip out the pith and discard it. Now, rip all your center pieces from the remainder. If you select your boards well, what remains will be near-quartersawn boards, and relatively stable. I don't often have a need for ripped 2-bys, but in the event that I do, this is the route I go, unless the piece I'm making is something temparary.
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Please forgive my ignorance, Durt Ferguson, but what is "pith"? Is it the center of the board?

Thanks Much,
Russell
Old 07-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #6

And one more question: Does it matter which way I orient the pieces on the plywood? Should the pieces be oriented lengthwise on the plywood, or does it matter?
Old 07-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRealtor View Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Please forgive my ignorance, Durt Ferguson, but what is "pith"? Is it the center of the board?

Thanks Much,
Russell
You got it, the pith is the center, where the rings begin. The quartersawn boards will have the rings running vertical, or slightly diagonal. My workbench top is a laminated top made from douglas fir, I used this approach. Out of the 20 or so strips I cut, I tossed out two for excessive bowing after being cut (mind you, this is over a 10' length, if the pieces were shorter they probably would have been fine). The rest of them stayed pretty true. Here's a picture to help :

Quote:
? Should the pieces be oriented lengthwise on the plywood, or does it matter?
It doesn't matter. The different plys in plywood are oriented cross-grain to each other, so the way you orient them in you bracket is mainly going to be aesthetics.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,005

I understand the desire to minimize the vertical height of the support, to reduce the space take from the storage below. however, the trade of is strength. placing large weights on these shelves will definitely challenge those supports and the fateners
TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #9

Thanks again for the replies.

Timpa, I found the design for the supports on some site or another. The fella who made them actually said the supports would hold his weight and he demonstrated by standing on one of the supports. He said to use lots of glue. I thought I would make a couple of them and see how they fare. I'm also considering the support shown in this new attachment. I thought I could make them from 3/4" plywood. They seem like a lot more work to me, though.

One more thing. Even though it is a shed, I would still like the shelves to be pleasing to the eye. The latter support, to me, is a nicer look.
Attached Thumbnails
Shelf Supports-shelf-support.jpg  

Last edited by RustyRealtor; 07-02-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #10

Do you have a router and a flush-trim bit? You could make them out of plywood, in the design you've posted. You could make them assembly-line style if you created a template, or used your first one as the template for the rest. I did this in the past when a friend needed 40 toy swords for their school play. Make the template, then trace out as many as you need on the plywood. Then, using a jigsaw, or bandsaw, cut them out, leaving about 1/8" or so waste outside the line. Then, use a couple small pieces of double-sided scotch tape to attach the template to the piece (it says permanent on the package, but use a couple small pieces you can pop it off with a spackling knife). On epass along each edge with the flush trim bit (even easier if you have a router table) will trim them all to the exact same size.

Just make sure the first one fits right in the shed, otherwise you'll have mass-produced 49 more bad supports.

Edit : What plywood are you using? If you're going all plywood, I would suggest getting good plywood. I used to buy my plywood at Home Depot, then I called a local lumber place and they can order me a higher grade domestic plywood, with 4 more plys and no voids, for about $10 more per sheet than I was paying for the premium stuff at HD.

Last edited by Durt Ferguson; 07-02-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement